UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the overall supervision of the Communications Coordinator and the Territorial Development Advisor, the Communications Analyst supports the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to strengthen the positioning and awareness of UNDP among partners, the media and the public, in particular as related to Agenda 2030 Communications and Decentralized Cooperation strategies.
The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with UNDP Brazil Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and Regional Communications Advisor, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society. The Communications Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach in UNDP Brazil. The Communications Analyst may supervise support staff of the Communications Unit.
A communications strategy tightly linked to Programme priorities helps position UNDP Brazil in key development areas as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Provide continuous support the Decentralized Cooperation portfolio in the formulation and implementation of communications and advocacy strategies and priorities, under the supervision of the UNDP’s Communications Unit.
- In coordination with supervisors, implement the Decentralized Cooperation portfolio communication plans, developing and executing activities and related products (videos, campaigns, maintain mailing list, among others);
- In coordination with supervisors, develop and prepare materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials, press releases, etc;
- Develop and evaluate actions on social media (campaigns, posts, videos, chats, among others) to increase the impact of the decentralized cooperation unit communication;
- Coordinate and manage publishing activities and media: content management, standards for publishing, design, relations with suppliers (printers, consultants, etc.).
- Provision of inputs and information for elaboration/updating of UNDP Brazil audio-visual strategy, including publications and marketing materials strategy based on the corporate policies and guidelines.
- Production and identification of storylines, photos and videos for publications and other marketing and audio-visual materials contributing to debates on key development issues.
- Technical supervision of translation/adaptation/rewriting of information received, printing, editing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials.
- Contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production.
- Promote dissemination of such materials.
- Assist the UNDP’s Communications Unit in the update and maintenance of website(s) and social media platforms managed by UNDP Brazil, in line with corporate branding and style requirements, in issues related to the localization of the 2030 Agenda.
- Preparation/checking the content for the online platforms to ensure consistency of the materials.
- Follow-up with partners and mainly the press for dissemination of such material.
- Support the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the localization of the 2030 Agenda and the Decentralized Cooperation goals and activities.
- Support supervisors in the preparation of briefings, talking points, speeches, fact sheets and press releases, in close collaboration with staff and experts.
- Production of activity reports, organization of minutes for relevant meetings, constant follow-up and organization of analytical data related to the Decentralized Cooperation Unit communication plans execution through UNDP Brazil communications channels.
- Help the UNDP’s Communications Unit in the preparation of daily news clippings on stories related to the localization of the 2030 Agenda and its activities; organize such material for internal dissemination.
- Ensure prompt response to requests from internal clients, press, partners and target audiences; updated mailing lists; and implementation of UNDP Brazil’s external relations approach.
- Support the production of texts focused on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and 2030 Agenda and other topic as needed.
- Support the development of products aimed at mobilizing funds and other resources;
- Maintain information database and audio-visual library.
The key results have an impact on creating effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP Brazil as the UN integration agency of the 2030 Agenda. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management team.
1. Operational Effectiveness
- Good knowledge and understanding on the Agenda 2030 history and content and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities.
- Ability to analyze general information and select/systematize materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
2. Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identify relevant information for advocacy for SDGs for a variety of audiences.
- Research and maintain contacts in the national and regional media, government, private sector, donors, other UN agencies, civil society and other stakeholders for the Decentralized Cooperation efforts.
- Create visibility for UNDP Brazil/Supporting UNDP Brazil’s capacity to advocate research and information gathering, in issues regarding the SDGs and Decentralized Cooperation.
3. Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing Basic research and analysis
- Research best practices and present new, more effective ways of doing things and document innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Identify and communicate opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing.
- Track bottlenecks, problems and issues, and propose solutions.
4. Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understand the main processes and methods of work regarding the position.
- Possess basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and apply them consistently in work tasks.
- Strive to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrate good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and analytics.
- Good knowledge of graphic design and video editing software (Photoshop or InDesign, or CorelDraw or similar programs).
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media relations, publishing or related area.
- Post-graduation. A master’s degree in communications, media relations, publishing or related area is desirable, but not a requirement.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in communications at national level.
- Experience in communications for international multilateral or bilateral organizations is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs.
- Proven experience in the usage of computers and MS Office Package (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) as well as the Adobe Package (Creative Suite) or other audio-visual editing software.
- Proven proficiency in handling institutional social media platforms and analytics.
- Proven proficiency in handling institutional web-based management systems.
- Fluency in Portuguese and English.
- Spanish is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.