Program Officer, LT-LEDS Program, Burkina Faso (re-advertised)
Burkina Faso (Burkina Faso)
Program Officer, LT-LEDS Program, Burkina Faso (re-advertised)
The Officer will be part of GGGI Burkina Faso country team to provide project management and technical support on Long – Term Low Emission Development Strategy (LT-LEDS) project development and implementation. The officer will be responsible for managing the project implementation of the LT-LEDS in Burkina Faso, assuring that timelines and milestones are respected, and project progress and implementation are on track.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
Building on and complementing existing on-going supports, GGGI is providing support to Government of Burkina Faso in developing a concise and strategic LT-LEDS document describing the pathways to decarbonization for Burkina Faso aligning with country’s enhanced NDC and reaching up to 2050. This LT-LEDS will help the country to follow a low carbon and climate resilient pathway after Covid-19 recovery period as it has taken a major toll on Burkina Faso’s economy, with the near-term outlook deteriorating quickly.
Following the request from the GoBFA, GGGI is hiring a program Officer to support the design, implementation of the Long – Term Low Emission Development Strategy (LT-LEDS) project in Burkina Faso.
- Coordinate LT-LEDS project in Burkina Faso, assuring milestones and timelines are respected and project outputs are delivered timely,
- Suport strengthening/operationalization of the MRV of actions using indicators identified during the NDC Implementation Roadmap assessment, guided by the indicators identified in the 5-years National Development plan and other sectoral plans, while following the IPCC guidelines,
- Identify technically, politically and economically feasible low-carbon development options that have potential to mitigate GHG emissions growth and enhance sinks and country’s resilience,
- Facilitates in-depth and effective stakeholder dialogues both internally and externally to support each GGGI and Government of Burkina Faso work.
- Develop and foster strong relationships with key government counterparts, key private sector institutions including green businesses, donors, relevant academic institutions and other key stakeholders to ensure effective delivery of the project
- Regularly updates and consults with GGGI Country Representatives to ensure and enhance project delivery.
- Collaborates with other country teams, units and divisions of GGGI on identified joint- activity opportunities to ensure integrated delivery as “One GGGI”
- Promotes green growth and the GGGI methodology with the donor community, regional organizations and other stakeholders;
- Advises GGGI Country Team and Representative on opportunities for engagement in the national and regional context, demonstrating effective adaptation of the GGGI approach;
The Officer is expected to deliver the following:
- Manage, coordinate, and implement the agreed project.
- Recommend and coordinate establishment of LT-LEDS Steering Committee including list of members, criteria for membership and description of role, and identify sectoral stakeholder consultation groups
- Assess the mitigation potential of low- carbon options, as well as attendant costs and financing options,
- Propose policy options and an action plan that can help to realize the mitigation potential quantified,
- Propose sectoral and economy-wide targets, staggered by 5-year intervals and an MRV framework which will be aligned to existing government monitoring frameworks,
- Collect sectoral data (in close collaboration with other local experts) to develop business as usual (BAU) projections for the economy and development, and contribute to the development of a “no action” (BAU) and baseline scenarios to the year 2050
- Provides training to the governmental officials in LEDS process and tools/models to discuss the definition of low-emission develop scenario phases and plans for BAU and other scenario development
- Contribute to the prioritization of sector-level assessments of public policies and investments required for implementing the selected low carbon options
- Prepare governance structure for implementation and Monitoring and Evaluation framework and outline of Burkina ’s LEDS Document
- Analyze data and information, assess results and draw conclusions, develop models, prepare and present results to internal and external stakeholders, and draft and compile technical and policy reports;
- Contribute to cost – benefit analysis and marginal abatement cost analysis of low carbon actions and scenarios;
- Produce evidence – based research and modelling to assist countries in developing their low emission development strategies and design their economic recovery;
- Provide evidence and advocate green deals and green growth as the avenues to deliver post-covid19 economic recovery with short term employment benefits while achieving long term low carbon development and sustainability, demonstrate GGGI’s strength in this area, by supporting GGGI’s participation in conferences, seminars, capacity building, and knowledge sharing programs.
- Contribute to knowledge and insights on topics related to long term low emission and climate resilient development and green growth, and making this knowledge available and accessible to policy-makers and the public through various publications and outreach methods;
- Advocate green growth through economic analytical insights gained from country activities, and findings from knowledge sharing, South-South cooperation, and country-level capacity building activities;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in field of agriculture, engineering, agricultural economics or finance. Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use or other related sector such as energy, transport or waste with additional relevant in-depth analysis and research expertise; Bachelor’s may be considered if coupled with additional relevant experience
- Preferably 5 years of relevant experience in the area of Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU)
- Program/ project management experience in the development arena of Burkina Faso. S/he is expected to be technically competent in at least one of the sectors (e.g. AFOLU, energy, transport, waste, adaptation, etc.).
- Ability to engage the private sector to become project partners, co-developers, investors, etc.;
- Experience superintending planning and budgeting functions in institutions that have an environmental services focus is desirable.
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and working on inter-institutional programmes.
- Experience in providing executive/management support to high-level oversight committees.
- Excellent written and verbal French communication skills is a must.
- Ability to lead and work effectively with people from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Experience in policy formulation, capacity building and multi-stakeholder engagement
- A track record in project or programme management
- Experience on developing low emission sectoral pathways and undertaking research, analyzing country trends
- Well-grounded in matters of public services delivery from a public and private sector perspective with an understanding of Government policy and strategy formulation/implementation mechanisms at national and sub-national levels within a multi-sectoral context in Burkina Faso.
- Technical and strategic knowledge of planning, policy and strategy
- Innovative thinker, able to see opportunities across different sectors/disciplines
- Anticipate and provide necessary technical and content-based support
- Excellent organizational and management skills with demonstrated experience
- Experience in undertaking/leading functional research (e.g. baseline, mid, end evaluations) in Burkina Faso.
- Understand and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision and values.
- Promote the optimum use of public resources
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership.
- Process and share information easily.
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily.
- Promote creativity and innovation among staff.
- Be able to lead where needed and provide solutions to project-level challenges
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.