Associate Programme Officer
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.Description of task
This position is initiated to support Africa Office Regional Development Coordination (RDC) Unit under the SIDA ( Sweden’s government agency for development cooperation) fund.
The national UNV being recruited will support the Coordination work to advance SIDA priorities and UNEP activities and related work in Africa.This includes strengthening and developing national authorities and UN teams in countries where the government agencies are weak or inadequate and need support to be able to give their citizens the service they are entitled to, as per SIDA’s ambitions.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Development Coordinator for Africa, the UNV is responsible for the following duties:
- Supports capacitation of national institutions on the integration of ES, CC and MEAs regulations in national policy documents in line with SIDA support policies.
- Assists RDC Unit to ensure a strong implementation of the UN Cooperation Framework ( CF) outcomes and outputs at national level to speed SDGs implementation, in particular for support to vulnerable groups ( women, youths) who are the most affected my climate change externalities, biodiversity loss and pollutions.
- Supports the capacitation of the private sector for a stronger integration of environmental sustainability dimensions in private business models and green Economy/ green accounting.
- Ensures technical support to the Unit work on CCA and UN visioning to ensure that SIDA and UNEP priorities are well captured during CCA processes and taken into account during CF design and implementation.
- Provides regular technical assistance to strengthen capacities of national institutions and UN teams on environmental statistics generation and utilization to ensure countries have the statistics they need to be able to plan the right efforts in the work of combating environmental poverty.
- Supports the implementation of SDGs project of Africa Office in particular work relating to Environmental governance and resilience in African countries.
- Supports the implementation of the CF guiding principles, in particular the Leaving No one Behind (LNOB) principle in Africa. This includes Environmental &Humanitarian aspects.
- Assists in decentralization process in African countries to enhance capacities of local communities and national bodies in charge of MEAs regulations to speed the implementation of SDGs in those countries.
- Supports the Unit work on nature-based solutions to climate mitigation and adaption, resilience and ecosystems-based disaster risks at national and regional level.
- Ensures monitoring and evaluation of UNEP projects and programmes whose areas of work fall under SIDA priorities including the SDG projects.
- Builds, cooperates and maintains partnerships with relevant organizations, institutions and stakeholders at national, regional and international levels, including scientific and academic bodies, private sector, financial institutions, civil society ,youth and gender and field ONGs.
- Performs a wide array of complex responsibilities in support of program activities, project planning and monitoring, specialized communications, and special projects.
- Initiates and maintains contact with internal UNEP entities to coordinate program activities, identify and resolve problems, and provides specialized program information and support.
- Identifies and develops possible environmental project concepts, in partnership with relevant agencies and institutions, and assist with Africa Office activities including resource mobilization to enhance UNEP support to countries;
- Supports conferences and events organisation, including making arrangements for staffing and technical support, facilities, registrations, and catering when needed; and provides information to participants.
- Maintains database, perform data entry and retrieval, create spreadsheets and reports, and compile statistics.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
An advanced university degree in International Development, Public Administration, Environmental sciences, Chemistry, Environmental management, or in a related field is required.
A first level university degree in combination with two years qualifying professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.Required experience: 24 Months Experience remark:
5 years of relevant professional experience and proven track record in progressively responsible in international environmental management; Experience in planning and project management would be an asset. Work experience with the United Nations is highly desirableLanguage skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
International Development, Public Administration, Environmental sciences, Chemistry, Environmental managementDriving license: No Competencies values:
Accountability, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 13 May 2021