Regional Private Sector Partnerships Consultant
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) leads FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security and nutrition as well as agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the Africa region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with offices, centres and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, guided by SDG 1 No poverty, SDG 2 No hunger, and SDG 10 Reducing inequalities. In addition to supporting FAO’s work in Member countries, RAF develops and maintains strategic partnerships with continental organizations, such as the African Union Commission and Regional Economic Communities (RECs). At policy level, RAF supports countries to develop strategies, policies and regulatory frameworks as well as supports regional, sub regional and country policy dialogues that sustain efficient and inclusive agricultural and food systems. RAF also facilities partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders, supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security and nutrition as well as agriculture and rural development in the region.
FAO has recently approved its new Strategy for Private Sector Engagement (2021-2025) which envisages private sector engagement for food systems transformation, measurable sustainable impact, ultimately contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Resource Mobilization and Private Sector Partnerships Division (PSR) oversees the implementation of the Strategy organization wide.
In order to successfully implement the new Strategy and capitalize on the opportunities at the regional, sub regional and country level, FAO in Africa is seeking for a consultant to support the work of the Regional Partnerships Officer FAO in Africa envisages private sector engagements will bring strategic partnerships, scale up collective multi-stakeholder efforts, and bring regional/ sub regional/ country-owned and led innovative solutions.
The Regional Private Sector Partnerships Consultant will have dual reporting lines to the Regional Partnerships Officer, Strategic Partnerships Unit in RAF and to the Private Sector Team in PSR.
The consultant will support regional, sub regional and country-level private sector scoping, outreach for engagement, and FAO staff capacity development, as well as support the use of the new FAO private sector Connect portal as a key tool.
Tasks and responsibilities
Private sector scoping and engagement
- Cultivate existing and scope potential private sector engagement according to regional priorities and specificities, including multiple sub regional and/or country level engagements (as prioritised by regional management), and scoping new and strategic engagement opportunities with diverse private sector entities at regional, sub regional and country level;
- Prioritise key private sector entities with which to engage and through appropriate channels to deliver on regional, sub regional or country specific priorities, means and mechanisms to engage, including through traditional and new areas of engagements, e.g. policy dialogue/Public-Private Partnership (PPP) platforms, data and knowledge sharing, expert support for SDG financing and investment and resource mobilization, where feasible;
- Identify and implement opportunities for engagement with regional stakeholders, such as roundtables and regional dialogues based on priority areas identified, and assist in the conceptualization, planning, and organization of regional events and dialogues with private sector, including private sector consultations in advance of Regional Conferences.
- Network and establish dialogue and relationships with key stakeholders;
- Support the Regional Partnerships Officer in the development and management of private sector engagements and partnerships, and where applicable the need to pursue formal partnerships agreements, in close consultation with PSR;
- Prepare the annual private sector regional report.
- Support the delivery and customization of a tailored private sector engagement capacity development programme for FAO employees at the regional, sub regional and country level, based on the corporate package that is being developed;
- Act as key transitory helpdesk for private sector engagement in region, and in parallel support the identification of sustainable long-term help desk solutions for regional/ sub regional/ country level support.
- Promote wide use of the Connect Portal and gain feedback for improvement - both internally within FAO at regional, sub regional and country level, as well as externally with partners and prospective partners as an outreach tool of FAO’s engagements with the private sector;
- Identify and propose an effective and efficient process for the utilization and inputting of data in the connect portal, as a Contact Relation Management tool for private sector engagements, from a regional, sub regional and country perspective, and provide backstopping and quality control support as required;
- Perform other related duties, as requested.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in international development, development economics, international law, business administration, agriculture, agricultural economics, or another field relevant to the work of the Organization
- Five years of relevant experience in outreach, engagement, policy development and relationship management in the area of private sector partnership
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of academic qualifications (i.e. PhD) is a strong asset
- Extent and relevance of experience in establishing and managing private sector partnerships
- Extent and relevance of experience in liaising with national governments on the promotion and inclusion of the private sector engagement in public policies
- Extent and relevance of experience with private sector partnerships related practices, rules and regulations, due diligence, legal, forecasting, and reporting
- Understanding of FAO's Strategy for Private Sector Engagement (2021-2025) is considered an asset
- Demonstrated ability to write and/or edit technical documents clearly and concisely
- Working knowledge of French would be an asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency