Consultant/Trainer on detection of firearms and components in fast parcels and postal services
Recent incidents in Europe have proven that weapons are still trafficked from the Western Balkan into Europe.In the Communication form the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council of 02 December 2012:” Implementing the European Agenda on Security: EU action plan against illicit trafficking in and use offirearms and explosives”, it is stated that reinforced border controls at external borders is of paramount importance and that cooperation between border agencies is mandatory. This brings us to the EU guidance onIntegrated Border Management for the Western Balkans. All territories in the Western Balkans are now implementing an Integrated Border Management strategy and action plan as has Kosovo. Challenges are identified during the implementation of these action plans and in particular in controlling the green border dueto difficult accessibility in some seasons of the year and a lack of specialized equipment. Additionally, it has been identified that Kosovo has a high confiscation of firearms in land (about 1500 weapons a year which include almost 20 % new weapons brought on the market such as blank firing weapons especially originated from Turkey) but few detections are happening at the border. It is also noted that Illegal firearms have become increasingly accessible on online platform such as the surface web as well the dark web.
The Kosovo Safety and Security Programme is the follow up of the Kosovo Small Arms Project and includes four main functional areas: 1. Small Arms Light Weapons and Explosives control (Combating Illicit Arms Trafficking CIAT); 2. Prevention of Violent Extremism; 3. Combating Cyber Crime and 4. Community Safety including Community Policing.This project will explicitly engage in the support to the implementation of the Regional Roadmap and SALW strategy - functional area management of information/tracing and link it to the SDG 16.4. The illicit trafficking of SALW across green borders is characterized by specific dynamics which must be taken into account in the actions to prevent it: a strong link between cross-border trafficking of SALW and other transnational crimes, the role of transborder communities and the fact that border areas can become a shelter for criminal groups, rebels or traffickers and finally the “ant trade”.
The Combating Illicit Arms Trafficking (CIAT) project aims to improve border control capacities to effectively and efficiently screen cargo, vehicles, parcels, personnel and other goods of special interest, such as weapons, ammunition, explosives. As a result, it will increase the detection at 17 border posts and the green border line based on detailed risk profiling leading to adequate investigations of border seizures and linking (where possible) to regional traffic routes.
Objectives of AssignmentCapacity development for KP on detection of firearms and components in fast parcels and postal services for border police and customs officers regarding Illicit Trafficking in Firearms, their Parts, Components and Ammunition among the Western Balkans jurisdictions, to and across the European Union.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the KSSP Project Manager the consultant/trainer will be expected to perform the following tasks:
1. Prepare the lesson plan and ppt for distribution to the participants;
2. Conduct the training on detection of firearms and components in fast parcels and postal services regarding Illicit Trafficking in Firearms, their Parts, Components and Ammunition among the Western Balkans jurisdictions, to and across the European Union;
The training should contain topics such as:
- An introduction to the illicit trafficking of firearms and components;
- Parcels and logistics services;
- Postal financial services;
- Use of postal and fast parcel services and the risk of their use for illicit arms trafficking;
- Online trafficking practical examples and their link to parcel delivery;
- Risk assessment and risk indicators.
3. Prepare written proposals of actions and activities to be included in a border police or customs SOP on prevention of firearms, components, explosives and pyrotechnic materials in parcels and steps to address systematically the scanning of fast parcels on import and export including the cooperation between border police and customs in line with IBM principles.
4. Prepare the training completion report with recommendations;
Expected Results/ Deliverables/Outputs
1. Prepare the lesson plan, training material and ppt for distributing to the participants (2 working days)
2. Conduct the 5-day training on detection of firearms and components in fast parcels and postal services regarding Illicit Trafficking in Firearms, their Parts, Components and Ammunition among the Western Balkans jurisdictions, to and across the European Union (5 working days)
3. Prepare written proposals of actions and activities to be included in a border police or customs SOP on prevention of firearms, components, explosives and pyrotechnic materials in parcels and steps to address systematically the scanning of fast parcels on import and export including the cooperation between border police and customs in line with IBM principles (1 working day)
4. Prepare the training completion report with recommendations (1 working day)
Remuneration - Lump Sum Amount
The Contract is based on an all-inclusive lump sum remuneration based on the submission of the final report summarizing the work done, cleared by the direct supervisor UNDP KSSP Project Manager.
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents must be submitted:
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability
- Personal CV and P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Offeror and at least three (3) professional references;
- Proposal, explaining why they are the most suitable for the work and describing approach to work and analysis methodology;
- Financial proposal, that indicates professional daily fee including total amount for whole duration of the assignment.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
Combined Scoring method – where the qualifications and methodology will be weighted a max. of 70%, and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.
- Demonstrates professional competence to meet responsibilities and post requirements and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Results-Orientation: Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences;
- Teamwork: Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team;
- Client orientation: Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with national partners and stakeholders and pro-activeness in identifying of beneficiaries and partners’ needs and matching them to appropriate solutions.
- Excellent organizational and research skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build trust;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling UN values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Law, political science, criminology or social sciences or related field. Specialized trainings in the field of SALW control, IAT investigations, fast parcels and postal services would be preferred.
- Minimum 10 years criminal investigations in the field of SALW and IAT investigations and prevention of illegal trafficking of firearms;
- Proven experience in the field of customs (fast parcels and postal services);
- Proven experience on conducting training in the field of illicit firearms trafficking;
- Minimum 5 years experience and proven extensive knowledge in the field of illicit firearms trafficking, fast parcels and postal services and new modus operandi of IAT;
- Good understanding of the development, political context and working experience in region of Western Balkan would be considered an advantage;
- Proven experience in working with law enforcement agencies and other government institutions;
- Proven experience in professional report writing;
- Fluency in English; proficiency in Albanian and/or Serbian is considered an asset.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office applications and other ICT devices and internet
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.