The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals and refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community-based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. IRC has a country office in Kampala, and field offices in Moroto, Kiryandongo, Kyaka II, Yumbe, Imvepi, Kiryandongo and Moroto
Scope of Work
The Finance Assistant will be a key member of the Moroto team and will contribute towards the achievement of the field’s finance objectives. Under the direction of the Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant maintains the cash books and is responsible for the accounts payable functions of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare cash transaction vouchers.
- Review transaction voucher forms for approval.
- Preparation prepaid monthly JVs for posting.
- Maintain petty cash account register and ensure petty cash reconciliation and replenish the petty cash when it reaches the minimum limit.
- Submit weekly and monthly petty cash summaries to the Finance Officer and Finance Manager.
- Monitor invoices and cash payment request vouchers.
- Process all cash and bank payments as per the approval received.
- Pay cash to the payees in the Moroto Office.
- Prepare cheques for approval and make payment to the payees.
- Follow-up cash in transit and transfers.
- Act as a cashier and make payments to payees in the field.
- Ensure IRC policies and procedures are respected in all the cash transactions.
- Work closely with HR and Administration Assistant/Officer to raise hotel bookings for visitors to the field.
- Assist the HR and Administration Assistant/Officer to maintain timesheets for all staff.
- Develop and maintain efficient filling system for the field office.