CALL FOR CONSULTANCY: Documentalist (Individual)
Geneva (United States of America)
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Geneva
Job Family: Documentation and Library
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 21-05-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Since 2016, the International Bureau of Education (IBE) has been working on the digitization of its historical collections. Phase 1 saw the digitization of the entire IBE Historical Archives: 1925-1969. The digital materials are currently being made available through IBE’s new digital library “The Historical Collections of the IBE”, which was developed in collaboration with TIND, a spin-off of CERN’s Invenio Library Management Software. In the current phase 2, the IBE’s Documentation Centre is committed to making the digitized material available to researchers and to keeping it accessible.
Building on the successful experience of the accomplished first digitization project, the Documentation Centre is in the process of digitizing the IBE’s invaluable historical collections, this time focusing on its Historical Textbook Collection. The latter contains over 25,000 textbooks and educational and teaching materials in 104 languages and from more than 140 countries, some of which are extremely rare.Long Description
Under the overall authority of the IBE Director, and direct supervision of the Program Specialist in charge, the Consultant will assist with the following tasks:
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of the digitization project; monitorization and analysis of project development and implementation; analysis and establishment of project workflows, processes, and tasks for post-digitization process;
- Day-to-day support to the digitization project of the IBE historical archives and textbook collection, including: assisting in the design of and supervision of the workflow, ensuring smooth processes and materials preparations; reviewing files and metadata, analyzing content of documents to be described, extracting information useful for historic research; ensuring that correct international archiving standards are adhered to; entering data into the archives management system according to the archival description standard, preparing database to go live, etc.;
- Coordination of the quality control process of digitized textbooks and archives;
- Development of programmes of outreach; development of presentations appropriate to various client audience; development of publicity materials to facilitate outreach; preparation of an on-site exhibition;
- Editorial support for publications, articles, reports, and other IBE documents;
- Development of information products (alerts, digests, etc.);.
- Enrichment of the online IBE Collection of Curricular Resources;
- General administrative work and other tasks, as required.
DELIVERABLES AND DEADLINES
The duration of the consultancy will be around 6 months (with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance). At the end of each month, the consultant will report directly, to the supervisor, on the progress of their work and missions before any payment.
The Individual Specialist will have to perform the following tasks:
- Work 1 (the expected duration is 1 month): Finalize the inventory of the historical textbook collection and selection and preparation for digitization of 200 books; coordinate with TIND, to prepare database to go live; develop two Alerts; provide general assistance as required with Documentation Center acquisitions and visitors’ requests.
- Work 2 (the expected duration is 1 month): Ensure quality control of digitized materials, coordinate with TIND to upload materials on the IBE Portal and to define the scope of required customizations and updates; develop two Alerts; provide general assistance as required with Documentation Center acquisitions and visitors’ requests.
- Work 3 (the expected duration is 1 month): Prepare 200 books for digitization; develop brochure/publicity materials to facilitate outreach; provide general assistance as required for its distribution; provide general assistance as required with Documentation Center acquisitions and visitors’ requests; develop two Alerts.
- Work 4 (the expected duration is 1 month): Prepare an on-site exhibition; provide general assistance as required with Documentation Center acquisitions and visitors’ requests; develop two Alerts.
- Work 5 (the expected duration is 1 month): Inventory and catalogue the IBE’s photographic collection; Ensure quality control of digitized materials; coordinate with TIND to upload materials on the IBE Portal and to define the scope of required customizations and updates; develop two Alerts; provide general assistance as required with Documentation Center acquisitions and visitors’ requests.
- Work 6 (the expected duration is 1 month): Produce first draft of donor’s report; develop two Alerts; provide general assistance as required with Documentation Center acquisitions and visitors’ requests.
UNESCO-IBE will pay up to total amount of CHF 42,000 (fees, accommodation), which is not tax free for the above-mentioned tasks.
Please provide in your application your price schedule in Swiss Franc (6 instalments max), noting that payments will be against the completion of each of the works describe above.
DELIVERABLES AND DEADLINESLong Description
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS
The IBE will provide a roundtrip Air Tickets (To and From Geneva).
IBE will provide an office, a professional email address, and the computer equipment required to accomplish the assigned tasks.
In agreement with the supervisor the consultant is authorized to be absent from the office 2.5 days/month (maximum total 15 days during the whole period of the contract - 6 months).
If the consultant has to participate to field mission, IBE will provide Air Tickets (economy class and direct route) and DSA & TA.
If selected, the individual consultant will have to provide a medical certificate, and proof of the health insurance coverage valid in Switzerland and during missions abroad before starting the consultation with IBE.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in archival science, information science, information systems, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least two years demonstrated experience in archives, records management, electronic record management or related area; and thorough knowledge of document management processes;
- Experience of working with delicate and historical materials;
- Experience of working and coordinating with external service providers.
- Fluency in English or French. Excellent drafting skills in English or French.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in modern archives management, record keeping, library, information management or related area, preferably including at least 3 years of experience at the international level.
- Experience with historical archives digitization projects, including digitization workflows and archival indexing and description standards, such as ISAD(G) and ISAAR(CPF).
- Experience in the administration of an Archives Management System.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
Interested candidates should download and complete the Employment History form (Word document).
Prior to uploading the documents, at the end of the word document, please insert :
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae;
- A proposal (no more than 3 pages) discussing the approach/methodology that will be adopted in carrying out the tasks;
- A financial proposal consisting of the amount to be charged for the assignment expressed as instalments, which should be quoted in Swiss Francs only (no more than 42 000 CHF Total).
The application is online. If you are unable to attach the documents in the system, please inform us at email@example.com.
Your proposal and supporting documents must be in either English or French.
UNESCO-IBE places great emphasis on ensuring that the objectives of the work assignment, as described, are met. Accordingly, in evaluating the proposals for the assignment, attention will focus first and foremost on the technical elements. From those proposals deemed suitable in relation to the criteria set forth, UNESCO-IBE shall select the proposal that offers the organization best value for money. The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include a competency-based interview if needed.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.