Water and Sanitation Technician
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Chief WatSan and Environmental Control and the overall supervision of Chief Engineer, the UN Volunteer is responsible for the following duties:
- Wastewater Plant Installation and Maintenance
- Carry out technical evaluations of bids, technical inspections for the Plants, spares and chemicals;
- Plant installations Mission-wide including plumbing works wastewater Plant decommissioning works in closed camps.
- Supervise wastewater treatment Plant operators, Train operators of wastewater Plants.
- Supervise wastewater collection and disposal in the Sectors
- Liaise with military liaison & logistics officers in MINUSCA camps to coordinate the sewage collection and disposal service.
- Collect and tally monthly sewage disposal reports from the government dumpsite Supervisors
- Prepare KPI report on sewage collection and disposal
- Collect sewage collection and disposal reports from outlying Sectors
- Provide logistical support to Watsan Unit
- Comprehend and make inferences from materials written in English language;
- When working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts, the incumbent is strongly encouraged to set aside dedicated time for training, coaching, mentoring and capacity development.
- Lastly, when working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts, the incumbent is strongly encouraged to set aside dedicated time for training, coaching, mentoring and capacity development.
- Perform any other related task as may be required
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to :
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possibleQualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
- Water and Sanitation and/or ordinary diploma augmented by apprenticeship and practical experience in the field of water and sanitation.
- Training in the operation of wastewater treatment plants and water treatment plants.
Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience in the field of water and sanitation, preferred within the UN System or INGOs, and in maintenance and operational systems.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.Driving license: Yes Competencies values:
Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Communication, Professionalism, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 16-05-2021