Bangui (Central African Republic)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Construction Unit; the UN Volunteer is responsible for the following duties:
· Structural & Building design of medium size structures, such as basements, retaining walls, warehouses;
· Dealing with Draftsmen, including preparation of clear and concise sketches to enable preparation of drawings on AUTOCAD;
· Preparation of Bill of Quantities (BoQs), Gantt Charts (Microsoft Project);
· Drafting of specifications for civil engineering works;
· Knowledge of different types of construction contracts and contract administration;
· On-site management and administration of contractors, including interacting with
Procurement, Asset Management, and other units and sections as required;
· Track project costs and prepare reports accordingly;
· Prepare weekly and monthly reports;
· Supervise on-going projects and site management.
· Provide engineering solutions on site for arising problems.
· Prepare site reports and materials take off quantities, as well as verification on site for the quantity of works already performed, whether by its own staff or contractors;
· Implement Quality control and assurance during the course of implementation of the daily works, with emphasize on safety at the working sites;
· Liaise with various units within the Engineering section and sections within Integrated Support
Services (ISS) to ensure timely completion of projects;
· Raise requisitions through the proper channels;
· Perform any other duties related to the above as assigned by the Chief of construction Unit;
· Lastly, when working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts, the incumbent is strongly encouraged to set aside dedicated time for training, coaching, mentoring and capacity development.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
· Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
· Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
· Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
· Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV Publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.
· Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
· Promote or advice local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
Civil EngineeringRequired experience: 60 Months Experience remark:
A minimum of 5 years of progressively relevant work experience in construction and rehabilitation projects.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Very good computer skills (Microsoft Office, MS Projects and Power Point) are required, AUTOCAD is an advantage.Driving license: Yes Competencies values:
Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Communication, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 16-05-2021