IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
This vacancy announcement is for two positions located as follows:
- One position in the Statistics Division (ESS) which develops, and advocates for the implementation of methodologies and standards for data collection, validation, processing and analysis of food and agriculture statistics. In these statistical domains, it also plays a vital role in the compilation, processing and dissemination of internationally comparable data, and provides essential capacity building support to member countries. In addition, the Division disseminates many publications, working papers and statistical yearbooks, that cover agricultural and food security relevant statistics (including prices, investments, production, trade and agri-environmental statistical data). The Office assistant will be part of the Survey Team and will contribute to the implementation of the 50x2030 Initiative to Close the Agricultural Data Gap. The 50x2030 Initiative supports national statistical services to accelerate the production and dissemination of high quality and timely statistics on the agricultural and rural sector, integrating production data with data on the technical, economic, environmental and social aspects of the agricultural holdings
- One position in the Resource Mobilization and Private Sector Partnerships Division (PSR) which leads and coordinates the mobilization of voluntary contributions (currently 70 percent of FAO's budget) in support of the Organization's strategic priorities. PSR manages FAO's relations with resource partners, strategically matching partners' interests to those of the Organization, and supports the negotiation of approximately 800 trust fund agreements per year. It mounts marketing analysis and campaigns around global development opportunities, provides market and business intelligence and positioning services to management as well as resource mobilization capacity development to decentralized and headquarters offices. PSR also oversees and coordinates results reporting to ensure accountability to resource partners, for which the PSR Reports Group is mandated as the responsible entity for processing and issuing Terminal Reports for FAO projects, in accordance with the FAO Handbook
The Office Assistant performs a large variety of routine administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit.
The Office Assistant reports to and receives guidance from the Survey Team coordinator / Programme Officer (Reporting). He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision received is focused on the quality of the work performed and provides for on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant usually interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine administrative and office support services.
- Arrange appointments for the supervisor, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and respond to routine requests for information;
- Provide office, administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences, etc.;
- Review, record, distribute and process incoming mail and correspondence; follow-up on pending actions;
- Respond or draft responses to standard/ routine correspondence and other communications; use word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports;
- Proofread documents and format texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards;
- Initiate general administrative tasks in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems;
- Make travel and hotel arrangements and prepare travel authorizations/claims for staff as required;
- Provide assistance in the administrative processing of vacancy announcements and consultants' contracts;
- Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports; create spreadsheets and presentations; manage and update databases for mailing lists and other information; and maintain electronic and paper files;
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of office support services and on the overall output of the work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Three years of relevant experience in office support work
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English and limited knowledge (Level B) of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Good knowledge of corporate computerized financial / travel / human resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
- Good knowledge of the organizational structure
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- For position 2008450 in ESS: Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish)
- For position 0248991 in PSR: Good knowledge of common administrative and financial rules and regulations; Knowledge of programme-/project-related procedures is desirable; Familiarity with digital platforms, especially Adobe Creative Cloud and video production software, is an asset
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency