Biomedical Engineer (Retainer), Multiple positions
Colombo (Sri Lanka)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
UNOPS Sri Lanka is part of the Bangladesh Multi Country Office in the Asia Region. The Office provides technical, operational and administrative support to multiple countries in the Asia Region, including India, Pakistan and Nepal to enable these country offices to deliver their project more efficiently and effectively. As part of this support, the UNOPS Office in Sri Lanka also provides programmatic support in the areas of project management, communications, reporting and partnership development.
In Sri Lanka, UNOPS operates within the overall framework of the UN Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) and is working with UN Agencies to better support the Government of Sri Lanka within the focus areas of the UNSDF. UNOPS Sri Lanka currently manages infrastructure projects in health, solid waste management and supports public institutions governance.
2.1. Technical tasks:
- Support in the revision of the medical specifications and requirements presented by MOH under design, in terms of accuracy and suitability to overall requirements.
- Check the schedule of the requirements, conditions, evaluation criteria and exact submission needed from the bidders before the bid solicitation.
- Producing medical bills of quantities suitable for tender in terms of accuracy and content.
- Prepare and evaluate technical specifications for medical systems including products, apparatus, services and associated quality of workmanship, in close coordination with the Procurement team.
- Raise issues that may impact the achievement of outcomes.
- Prepare estimates and prices for all medical equipment.
- Participate in scheduled site visits.
- Follow contractor’s obligations of the contractors on site including inspections, testing, and shop drawings review.
2.2. Administrative tasks:
- Keep files and records of the design processes.
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to medical works.
2.3. Stakeholder Management
- Contribute to the establishment of solid working relationships with the Associate and Design Company.
- Ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions, etc.
- Participation in the meetings with the Design Company and work closely with their respective medical consultants during the workshop drawings for the medical equipment (identify exact Locations and dimensions for the equipment).
- Perform any other tasks relevant to design activity as assigned.
2.4 Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Prepare monthly progress reports based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, olutions, planning of activities, etc.
- Maintaining, accurate, quality and completion documentation as identified in responsibilities above.
- Advanced University (Master's) Degree in Biomedical engineering or related field is required.
- A Bachelor degree combined with 4 additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A Technical Diploma in Biomedical engineering or similar with 6 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the BA or the MA.
B. Work Experience
- 2-4 years (or more based on academic credentials) of progressive experience in the biomedical engineering field is required.
- Experience in the maintenance and the acquisition of health biomedical equipment is an asset.
- Good knowledge in industrial medical equipment and machinery specialized in oncology treatment, Ventilator, intensive care, Defibrillator , Radiographic system ,film, Radiographic units ,Mobile (DR), Computed Radiography (CR) ,Multi - film , Scanning Systems, Ultrasonic, General Purpose, Radiographic Systems ,Digital (DR), Radiographic /Fluoroscopic Units, Mobile (C-ARM), Digital Mammographic System, Stereotactic, Biopsy, Medical Gases, purified water treatment systems, autoclaves, neonatal incubators, ICU equipment, laboratory equipment, etc.
- Experience of successfully working with a variety of health sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners is an asset.
- Experience working in developing countries is an asset.
- Proficiency with computers in particular AutoCAD, and other related software related to the positions field of expertise is highly desirable.
- Experience working with developing nations and/or large global donors such as Global Fund, USAID, World Bank, etc. is an advantage.
- Full proficiency in English is required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Good knowledge of the local and international medical Rules and Regulations.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and operations is highly desirable.
- Ability to travel to the county of the assigned project(s).
- High proficiency with computers in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, Internet, AutoCAD, and other related software related to the positions field of expertise.
- Good report writing and oral presentation skills.
- Proven organizational and managerial skills, ability to communicate / negotiate.
- Personal interest, commitment, efficiency, flexibility and willingness to work in a highly motivated team of professionals are required.
- Ability to adapt to a difficult working environment, under pressure and with limited time frames is required.
- Professional membership of certified associations is preferential.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement ( retainer) Contract level: Local ICA Specialist
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This position is open to Nationals ONLY.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.