Gender Focused Research and data collection Consultant (Retainer)
home-based with travel to palestine if needed
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women plays an innovative and catalytic role in the State of Palestine since its inception in 1997. UN Women Palestine Office focuses its activities on one overarching goal, namely, to support the implementation at the national level of existing international commitments to advance gender equality in line with the national priorities. In support of this goal, and thoroughly taking into consideration the specificities of the Palestinian context, UN Women concentrates its efforts and interventions toward the realization of following strategic goals: Mainstreaming gender in governance, peace and security; Supporting women's economic security and rights; and Promoting women’s rights and protection against violence.
UN Women in Palestine is committed to delivering the highest quality research and data which informs national development and humanitarian planning and response. By developing knowledge and harnessing evidence, UN Women supports civil society and governments to develop laws, policies and strategies, and strengthen their capacity to make gender equality a lived reality.
UN Women in Palestine works with UN system partners to support the production and use of high-quality gender statistics in policymaking and response. UN Women is an active member of the inter-agency data working group, which coordinates work on data across the UN.
In 2021 forward, UN Women in Palestine will continue providing data and gender analysis, particularly on thematic areas of focus (women, peace and security, humanitarian action, women’s economic empowerment and ending violence against women and girls). UN Women will use research and data to inform evidence based normative and policy dialogues among government, civil society and other stakeholders on gender equality and women’s empowerment, while emphasizing the differentiated gender impact of COVID-19. UN Women will also use data and gender research to inform developmental and humanitarian planning and programming processes.
Against this backdrop, UN Women in Palestine would like to bring on board a Gender Focused Research and Data Collection Consultant(Retainer). The overall objective of the proposed retainer contract is to provide UN Women Palestine Country Office with highly qualified expertise on gender data collection and research, mainly specialized at drafting high-quality knowledge products to support the Office with its policy, coordination, programming and advocacy efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Special Representative in the State of Palestine, and the direct supervision of the Task Manager, UN Women would like to bring on board a Gender Focused Research and Data Collection Consultant (Retainer) to undertake the following tasks, duties and responsibilities:
Specific tasks shall include:
- Develop methodologies and workplans for the identified knowledge products which may include data collection exercise, gender focused research, advocacy/policy briefs, high-level events reports etc.
- Ensure all workplans and methodologies are approved by the task manager.
- Collect secondary data through conducting desk reviews to compile data available from different sources including research/documents produced by PCBS, UN agencies, sectors/clusters/working groups, NGOs, and academia.
- Collect primary data through conducting focus group discussions and semi-structured interviews with key informants including right holders, civil society actors and governmental actors as needed.
- Carry out quantitative data analysis exercises (questionnaires, surveys) to assess gender priorities and trends and inform research.
- Draft high-quality knowledge products in English on gender equality and women’s empowerment covering different themes (i.e. humanitarian action, women, peace and security etc).
- Address feedback on the deliverables and ensure that all knowledge products are proofread and approved by direct supervisor.
- Present the findings and recommendations of the identified knowledge product in meetings and launching events.
The consultant (retainer) and the task manager shall agree on scope, methodology and the expected number of days for each requested deliverable; ahead of commencing any work is undertaken by the consultant to produce the deliverable. The consultant will be required to inform UN Women on the progress of their work on a regular basis. The requester/ task manager shall share detailed scope of work for each product with estimated number of working days, timeframe for delivery of the product, to be discussed and agreed on with researcher.
Deliverables may include:
- Gender Analysis reports (such as the yearly Gender Alerts, Gender profiles)
- Gender Research that includes primary and secondary data collection tools and analysis on a variety of thematic areas (such as gender in humanitarian action, gender-based violence, women, peace and security and others as seen needed).
- Policy briefs and analysis briefs.
- Case studies and impact stories.
- Short data collection exercises that include quantitative/statistical and qualitative analysis.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues.
- Creative Problem Solving.
- Effective Communication.
- Inclusive Collaboration.
- Stakeholder Engagement.
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Very strong background on gender.
- Experience in assessing impact of policies, strategies and measures from a gender perspective.
- Proven analytical and research skills with understanding of quantitative/qualitative methods and data analysis.
- Ability to manage time and meet tight deadlines.
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Proven networking, organizational and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Advanced (Masters) degree in Human Rights, International Relations, Political Science, Gender Studies, Social Sciences, Law or other related fields.
- At least 2 years of working experience in data collection and research.
- At least 2 years of working experience in gender focused research and analysis (i.e. humanitarian action, women, peace and security).
- At least 2 years of working experience in a conflict affected setting.
- Research experience in Palestine is an asset.
- Professional proficiency in English
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
This SSA modality is governed by UN Women General Terms and Conditions. UN Women will only be able to respond to applicants who meet the minimum requirements.
Candidates should clearly indicate how they meet the above-mentioned criteria in their applications.
The following documents should be submitted as part of the application. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials:
- UN Women P11 including experience in similar assignments; the P11 form can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment, a signed copy should be submitted;
- Letter of Interest containing the statement on candidate’s experience and qualification against required qualification, experience and competencies.
Note: Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Please upload as one attachment of the documents as mentioned above online through this website
Candidates should have the ability to quickly submit degree certificates, medical certification (of good health) expression of Interest (EoI) when asked.
Evaluation of applicants
Candidates will be evaluated using a technical analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications mentioned above, writing sample and interview. The passing score of the technical evaluation is a minimum score of 70/100.
Technical Evaluation (70%) – max. 70 points:
- Advanced (Masters) degree in Human Rights, International Relations, Political Science, Gender Studies, Social Sciences, Law or other related field. (max 10)
- At least 2 years of working experience in data collection and research (max 10)
- At least 2 years of working experience in gender focused research and data analysis. (max 10)
- At least 2 years of working experience in a conflict affected setting (10 marks).
- Research experience in Palestine is an asset. (max 10)
- A sample of previous policy briefs, research, reports that are focused on gender (10 max)
- The results of a short interview (10 marks)
Financial Evaluation (30%) – max. 30 points.
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion. A suggested formula is as follows:
p = 30 (µ/z)
Using the following values:
- p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
- µ = price of the lowest priced proposal
- z = price of the proposal being evaluated
- Only long-listed candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidate will be requested to submit a financial proposal. The financial proposal shall specify a daily professional fee.