Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish an appropriate and efficient strategy to carry out the control and management of OHCHR-Honduras administrative and financial general operations, ensuring timely information, follow-up and adequate reporting.
- Provide advice and assistance concerning administrative and technical fields of cooperation with regard to programme and fundraising processes, for monitoring and administration of funds.
- Prepare cost analysis, balances and variances, financial reports, as well as proposals for new activities, based on OHCHR-Honduras’ objectives and results.
- Liaise with OHCHR headquarters to organize and consolidate the logistics and administrative process for official missions and visits of Special Procedures mandate-holders to ensure and monitor management of costs incurred and information, as appropriate.
- Liaise with OHHCR headquarters and UNDP-Honduras to comply with administrative and financial rules and procedures, as well as with other counterparts, including joint programming with the UN Common System in Honduras and the international community, to advise and assist in the elaboration and negotiation of agreements, letters of intention and other commitments, as well as to provide administrative, financial and follow-up actions to ensure the effectiveness of desired programmatic results.
- Ensure adequate negotiations and procurement mechanisms that are in the best interest of office operating processes.
- Contribute to general OHCHR-Honduras reporting, including to donors, to reflect administration and financial operations.
- Prepare requests of contracts for local staff (including external consultants) and assist in all steps of recruitment procedures following UNDP and OHCHR guidelines.
- Manage and monitor OHCHR staff contracts with regard to benefits (medical and pension fund), as required.
- In coordination with OHCHR-Honduras Representation and Programme Management Officer, assist staff in the elaboration of annual performance evaluation reports.
- Assist OHCHR-Honduras Representation and Programme Management Officer with the establishment of internal and external communication mechanisms in order to strengthen the Office’s teamwork and communication with counterparts and partners, in compliance with the desired results and goals of OHCHR’s mandate.
- Supervise general service staff in line with UNDP and OHCHR human resources rules and procedures.
- Supervise and control the Office’s files and records.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets; manage contributions and investments; manage transactions; and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery.
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Make recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business or Public Administration, Finance/Accounting or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the first level university degree.
- Up to two (2) years of progressively responsible professional experience in similar positions is required.
- Up to 2 years of relevant experience in providing financial management services, managing staff and operational systems.
- Solid experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and of spreadsheets and database packages is required. Experience working in the UN Common system is desirable. Experience working with UN Agencies or other international organizations rules and procedures on the handling of administrative and financial operations, as well as human resources is also desirable.
- For the position advertised, fluency in Spanish and English (both oral and written) is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.