ICT Advisor - ICT Project Management
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations C4ISR [Command, Control, Communications, Computers (C4), Intelligence – Surveillance – Reconnaissance (ISR)] Academy for Peace Operations (UNCAP) is committed to excellence in:
Preparing peacekeeping missions personnel, and troop- and police-contributing countries military and police for their roles in UN peace operations and
Enhancing their operational readiness and performance on key technologies used for C4ISR—UN Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance—and for Camp Security.
Formerly established in 2015 as the UN Signals Academy, the renaming of the training centre to UNCAP end 2020 represents its new level of ambition for UN field operations preparedness and an enriched, evolving C4ISR technologies curricula.
The incumbent of this position will be part of UNOPS personnel and under its full responsibility.
Summary of key functions:
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager or designated individual, the incumbent will work directly under the supervision of the UN C4ISR Academy Programme Management officer and will be responsible for:
3. Team Management:
Performs other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
The results of the work of the Capacity Building Advisor impact directly on delivery of services and training that satisfy the requirements of the Department of Operational Support as well as the performance of these services implemented in the field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in information technology, computer science, teaching and education or in a field related to the post description is required.
- A first level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and experience in military C4ISR [Command, Control, Communications, Computers (C4), Intelligence – Surveillance – Reconnaissance (ISR)] and Camp security technology, education and training may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- National Command and Staff College degrees obtained from recognized institutions may be considered in lieu of first level degree. National War/Defense College degrees from recognized institutions may be considered in lieu of the advanced university degree
- A minimum of seven (7) years of military experience in C4ISR [Command, Control, Communications, Computers (C4), Intelligence – Surveillance – Reconnaissance (ISR)] or Camp security technical fields.
- Within these 7 years, a minimum of five (5) years of experience in technology training course and curriculum development, training assessments and validation, training innovative solutions.
- Within these 7 years, a minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in project management or project coordination.
Desirable (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply):
- Experience in dealing with military technology training delivery as an instructor is highly desirable.
- Experience in multinational working environment
- Experience in serving in a United Nations peacekeeping or multinational or national military operation.
- Experience in training peacekeepers or deployed military personnel.
- Experience in dealing with metrics/KPI/service level targets.
- Should possess excellent communications skills.
- For this assignment fluency in both English and French (write, read, speak) is required considering the requirement to deliver the whole technology course programme in both English and French language.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Fixed Term Contract level: P4
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Sustainable Development Cluster
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.