Biomedical Engineer (Retainer)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
UNOPS Hub in Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information - Job-specific
On 4 August 2020, barely six months after the first confirmed COVID-19 case in Lebanon, a devastating explosion hit the Beirut Port, leaving at least 180 people dead and over 6,500 injured or disabled, and an estimated 300,000 homeless. The explosion affected a large area, not only surrounding areas around the Beirut Port but also across the Greater Beirut Area, causing massive damage. In the aftermath of the explosion, given the scale of destruction, the Government of Lebanon declared a state of emergency in the capital. Hospitals and health centers have been severely affected, at least six hospitals and more than 55 primary healthcare centers (PHCs) clinics were damaged including existing medical equipment. Even though various health actors have provided assistance, the restoration of health facilities has not been completed and further support is needed.
The Beirut Port explosion, compounded with the COVID-19 outbreak, and the socio-economic situation in Lebanon has created significant immediate humanitarian needs and severe long-term consequences. In this context, UNOPS is seeking a Medical Engineer based in Beirut for the purpose of project development and to undertake the below-mentioned functions.
The incumbent shall work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and the Head of Programme, She/ he will be required to undertake the following tasks:
a- Technical tasks:
- Support in the revision of the medical specifications and requirements presented by MOH under design, in terms of accuracy and suitability to overall requirements.
- Check the schedule of the requirements, conditions, evaluation criteria and exact submission needed from the bidders before the bid solicitation.
- Support in producing Producing medical bills of quantities suitable for tender in terms of accuracy and content.
- Assist in Prepare and evaluate technical specifications for medical systems including products, apparatus, services and associated quality of workmanship, in close coordination with the Procurement team.
- Raise issues that may impact the achievement of outcomes.
- Prepare estimates and prices for all medical equipment.
- Participate in scheduled site visits.
- Follow contractor’s obligations of the contractors on site including inspections, testing, and shop drawings review.
b- Administrative tasks:
- Keep files and records of the design processes.
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to medical works.
c- Stakeholder Management
- Contribute to the establishment of solid working relationships with the Associate and Design Company.
- Ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions, etc.
- Participation in the meetings with the Design Company and work closely with their respective medical consultants during the workshop drawings for the medical equipment (identify exact Locations and dimensions for the equipment).
- Perform any other tasks relevant to design activity as assigned.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Prepare monthly progress reports based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, olutions, planning of activities, etc.
- Maintaining, accurate, quality and completion documentation as identified in responsibilities above .
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Bachelor’s degree in biomedical engineering or related fields such as Pharmacy, Medical Laboratories, Nursing or other relevant Healthcare profession, from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant professional experience.
Professional training in medical equipment installations is an asset.
Recognized drafting training is an asset.
At least 2 years (or more depending on academic credentials) of experience in medical systems design and construction for medium to large scale health care facilities.
Good knowledge in industrial medical equipment and machinery specialized in oncology treatment, Ventilator, intensive care, Defibrillator , Radiographic system ,film, Radiographic units ,Mobile (DR), Computed Radiography (CR) ,Multi - film , Scanning Systems, Ultrasonic, General Purpose, Radiographic Systems ,Digital (DR), Radiographic /Fluoroscopic Units, Mobile (C-ARM), Digital Mammographic System, Stereotactic, Biopsy, Medical Gases, purified water treatment systems, autoclaves, neonatal incubators, ICU equipment, laboratory equipment, etc.
Experience in computer drafting software, particularly “AutoCAD” is desired.
Experience in health consulting, universal health coverage or health systems strengthening is an advantage.
Experience working with developing nations and/or large global donors such as Global Fund, USAID, World Bank, etc. is an advantage.
Full proficiency in Arabic and English is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Retainer Local ICA
Contract level: LICA 8
Contract duration: Short-term ICA
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Beirut is a UN Family Duty Station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.