Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE)Training Officer(National Position)
International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian
crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and
power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the
call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S.
cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and
strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975
and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi,
Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
Job Overview/Summary: The IRC’s program for Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) improves and expands community-based services to survivors of gender-based violence (GBV) in the seven refugee camps. The program supports and strengthens community-based efforts to respond to and prevent violence against women and girls through comprehensive and holistic programming, including case management. This program coordinates a network against GBV that ensures a comprehensive and multi-sectoral response for survivors, increasing the safety and power of women and girls through promoting community leadership and provision of technical training on GBV core concepts.
Under the direct supervision of the Women’s Protection and Empowerment Senior Program Manager and the overall guidance of the WPE Coordinator, the WPE Training Officer will focus on developing others’ capacities, and always look for opportunities to create partnerships and engage individuals, community leaders, community-based organizations (CBO), and non-governmental organizations (NGO) trying to create a safer environment for women and girls. The WPE Training Officer is responsible for all aspects of training focusing on prevention and response to gender-based violence, gender equality, including Training of Trainers and capacity development of camp-based staff and partner organizations. The position is also responsible for developing training materials, outreach strategies and implementing activities in cooperation with partners.
Training and Technical Support
- Design, coordinate and deliver
trainings on gender-based violence (GBV) and related issues to project
beneficiaries and conduct training of trainers (TOR) for local NGOs, CBOs,
and civil society organizations (CSO), including medics, legal staff and
other relevant staff working with GBV survivors.
- Deliver trainings on healthy
communication and maintaining positive relationships to couples in the
refugee camps, and implement training activities in partnerships with
relevant community-based organizations.
- Develop training materials,
community awareness-raising materials and other educational materials as
necessary based on the project design and objectives.
- Monitor training outcomes through
baseline surveys, pre- and post-tests, and follow-up interviews, and
continually reflect on training experiences and monitoring data to improve
- Translate training materials into
English, Karen, and Burmese and ensure training documents are current and
- Conduct Training of Trainers and
implement systematic training observations and constructive feedback
mechanisms for camp-based staff.
- Provide support to the development and implementation of strategies for community outreach activities and training reports.
- Strengthen the capacity of national and community-based actors, local NGOs and CSOs on service provision to survivors of gender-based violence and ensure a comprehensive and multi-sectoral response for survivors.
Program Support and Administration
- Collect information/data relating to all activities, including data necessary for project indicators as well as record on the successes and challenges, and report the progress of the project at regular intervals to the Senior WPE Program Manager.
- Provide accompaniment and psychosocial support to GBV survivors accessing services in Ratchaburi town as necessary.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with IRC’s partners.
- Assist in preparing monthly activity plans together with all other project staff in order to ensure close integration of project activities.
- Complete all administrative work and timely submit reports related to training and outreach activities.
- Provide support to gender initiatives and activities introduced by IRC Thailand and Headquarters as necessary.