International Technical Advisor (Zoonoses and antimicrobial resistance) (ECTAD)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations. With presently 194 member states, FAO works in more than 130 countries worldwide, including Vietnam where the Organization has operated since 1978. The current Country Programming Framework (CPF) for the period of 2017‑2021 has four priority areas: (1) Increased food security with focus on alleviation of hunger, malnutrition and food safety concerns; (2) Sustainable development of the agriculture sectors, contributing to the national Green Growth and other strategies on improved natural resources management and environment protection; (3) New Rural Development and Sustainable Poverty Reduction; and (4) Enhanced resilience of communities to disasters and threats. The incumbent’s tasks will mainly contribute to the fourth priority area.
The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Viet Nam, the direct supervision of ECTAD Senior Technical Coordinator of the Emergency Center for Transboundary Animal Disease (ECTAD) in Viet Nam and in close coordination with FAO ECTAD team including national consultant(s) and government partners.
Zoonoses and antimicrobial resistance.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Support and assist the Senior Technical Coordinator to manage and deliver ECTAD programme in Vietnam;
- Supervise the work of assigned ECTAD national and project staff
- Ensure the delivery of zoonoses and antimicrobial resistance activities under ECTAD projects
- Provide technical inputs to reports, events, and support field missions as needed;
- Coordinate the provision of advice to MARD on technical matters related to zoonoses and antimicrobial resistance
- Provide technical advice to further develop and implement national surveillance programme for priority zoonoses including the revision of surveillance protocols, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and developing local capacity to fulfill surveillance duty
- Provide technical advice to further develop and implement national action plan on AMR including monitoring of antimicrobial resistance, antimicrobial consumption, promote responsible use of antibiotics, etc.
- Facilitate inter-sectoral coordination and information sharing
- Provide technical inputs and support the implementation FAO-USAID Global Health Security Programme (GHSP) in coordination with other GHSP partners in Viet Nam
- Facilitate sharing of surveillance data at national, regional and global including provision of inputs to FAO surveillance database (EMPRES/GLEWS) as needed
- Performs any other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in veterinary medicine, veterinary science, animal science or related field
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in zoonoses and antimicrobial resistance, including surveillance, prevention/control management and One Health approach. Having working experience in Vietnam and other Asia countries is an asset
- Woking knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for COF.REG. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in zoonoses and antimicrobial resistance
- Experience in working with Government agencies and UN organizations is an asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency