Kenema (Sierra Leone)
Present in Sierra Leone since 1999, IRC supports the Sierra Leonean institutions – government, civil society, community-based organizations and private sector – to provide improved social services, decrease youth unemployment and mitigate gender-based violence.IRC do this through programs and partnerships designed to improve the life of women, youth and children by implementing Health, Education, Youth and Gender Based Violence programming.IRC operates projects in Freetown, Kambia, Port Loko, Bo, Kenema, Kono and Kailahun and has a Country Program office in Freetown, a Regional Field Office in Kenema, Field Offices in Kono, Bo and Kailahun.
Reporting to the Country Director, the Field Coordinator is primarily responsible for the operational components of the Regional Office in Kenema as well as the field offices in Kono, Bo and Kailahun. He/she also provides support to Program Managers and Coordinators for the timely and effective implementation of programs and is the main link between programs and operations as well as the field and Freetown.
§Manage the operational components of the Kenema office including Security, Supply Chain, Admin/HR and Finance.
§Provide oversight to the operations component of the program including transport, logistics, procurement, store management and IT.
§Communicate operational issues to the Senior Operations Coordinator, Programs and Operations Managers, and Program Staff and in a timely way.
§Manage the Supply Chain Manager in Kenema and provides technical support to the Supply Chain Officers in Kono and Bo, as well as the Operations Officer in Kailahun
§Manage the Administrative staff in Kenema
§Ensure adequate support and communication to operational staff in the field office in Kono, Bo and Kailahun.
§With the Senior Operations Coordinator, continuously review and analyse systems and procedures to ensure effective and efficient delivery of support functions.
§Provide a key in-field oversight role ensuring that mandatory checks are carried out and analyse and detect any potential sources of financial/material risk in IRCs operations.
§Enforce the strict observance and consistent application of the current IRC Sierra Leone procurement policies and procedures.
§Conduct regular weekly spot checks on the general stock status, and as to whether the IRC delivery, storing and tracking system is adhered to by the Storekeeper.
§Review Supply Chain report to ensure that is comprehensive and submitted within the given timeframe (see Tasks matrix)
§Enforce IRC’s guidelines and regulations concerning vehicle usage at all times.
§Review the monthly expenditure reports on fuel usage, maintenance and repairs prepared by the supply chain lead using the standard formats and charts used by IRC before they are submitted to the Supply Chain Coordinator.
§Ensure proper tracking of all IRC assets movement, including continuous maintenance and update of program assets listing by the Supply Chain lead.
§Ensure an inventory of assets is conducted as per GSC requirement and that report are presented to the Supply Chain department in Freetown.
§Contribute to the asset disposal system as per the IRC policy and procedures with support from the Supply Chain Coordinator in Freetown and the Senior Operations Coordinator.
§Ensure that supply chain provides the services for the compounds constantly and that quality is guaranteed. This includes water supply, generator installation and maintenance, technically-recommended operation, back-up and monitoring of fuel consumption.
§Make recommendations to the Senior Operations Coordinator on contract extensions, promotions, staff development and review of job descriptions of staff you supervise.
§Set clear performance objectives for staff you supervise and ensure that they are understood.
§Conduct regular performance reviews and hold one-on-one feedback discussions with staff that you supervise on a regular basis to ensure that performance objectives are being met and ensure all other supervisors in IRC Kenema do same
§Conduct annual performance evaluations for staff that you directly supervise and manage poor performance and disciplinary issues in accordance with IRC HR policies and procedures. Ensure all other supervisors do the same.
§Ensure that all IRC Kenema staff annual leave is tracked and planned in advance and that there is sustainable coverage and backup for all staff going on leave.
§Ensure that all IRC Kenema staff complies with the rules and regulations of IRC as set out in the national staff personnel policy in force.
- Liaise with finance staff to ensure support to both programs and operations
·Ensure that the day to day financial management of the field office is in accordance with IRC policies and procedures, donor rules and regulations and statutory laws.
·Monitor the financial management of the field office in a supportive and professional manner ensuring that IRC funds and documentations are used in accordance with IRC policies.
·Carry out necessary spot checks on financial issues and records in the office.
·Ensure the timely submission of financial reports and original documents to Freetown.
·Supervise all protocols on the handling of the safe, petty cash, cheque books, cash etc. are strictly adhered to at all times.
- Ensure program staff receive adequate and timely operational and financial support
- Provide the link between program managers and operational staff as well the field and Freetown
- Promptly report any observations or findings that will affect program implementation to senior management for follow up and guidance
- Ensure program staff plan and submit PRs, work-plans and other necessary documentation in good time.
- Ensure that procurement plans are developed and updated for all open grants in your location by closely working with the supply chain lead, procurement lead and program coordinators to make sure procurement is carried out in a timely manner thereby avoiding the consequences of late procurement done especially at the end of grant.
- Actively seek input from program personnel on how systems and support functions can be improved with program results in mind.
- Support and Participate in Site Programme Planning, Budgeting, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Communicate issues to both program managers and program Coordinators
- Ensure adequate support and communication to program staff in the other field offices including Kono, Bo and Kailahun.
- Monitor the work-plans of each program and raise over-laps or operational constraints
- Help with and encourage program planning
- Act as the Security Focal Point (SFP) for the Kenema office
- Provide security orientation to new staff and ongoing security related trainings and workshops to continuing staff
- Liaise with the field office in Kono, Bo and Kailahun on security matters and communicate to Freetown
- Liaise with other NGO’s and the UN agencies in Bo regarding security information and matters at the field office.
- Ensure participation in the Kenema security tree and related security meetings
- Ensure the completion of incident report as necessary, and daily security reports.
- Review safety issues at field sites, compiling recommendations for the Senior Operations Coordinator and CD (e.g. Fire safety).
- Communicate changes in the security situation to the Senior Operations Coordinator and CD in a timely manner
- Closely monitor the Pendrax Security Guards and report issues of concern to their supervisor or Operations Coordinator.
§Communicate any issues from Kenema and the field offices to the program coordinators, Finance department and Senior Operations Coordinator.
§Liaise with the Senior Management team in Freetown
§Coordinate visits with key staff, especially the Supply Chain, IT and Admin/HR Manager to the three sites
§Travel to Freetown as necessary
- Represent IRC to local government, donors, visitors, partners and other stakeholders
- Act as the focal point for IRC in Kenema
- Serve as the INGO Lead in the District Coordination Committee Steering Committee
- Plan monthly visits to the field offices in Kono, Bo and Kailahun including to program implementation sites.
- Facilitate visits from programs and operations staff as well as donors and other partners.
- Chair the program/operational meetings in Kenema and submit minutes to the CD, Senior Operations Coordinator and SMT members in Freetown.
- Act as an IRC WAY focal point
- Participate in staff development initiatives
- Complete monthly reports including monthly field report and monthly security report
- Chair Grant opening and closing meetings as well as grant mid-point meetings
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Local Government and Line Ministries, Other national and international Agencies including the UN, UNDSS, Donors and visitors as required
- Senior Operations Coordinator, CD, Finance Controller, Program Coordinators, Program Managers, Field Managers, Operations Staff, Supply Chain Coordinator, Senior IT Manager, Admin/HR Coordinator.