Program Manager, Vaccines Markets
United States (United States of America)
Program Manager, Vaccines Markets
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Non Communicable Diseases - Vaccines Market Team
- Additional Location Description
- Flexibility of placement in CHAI Programmatic Country pending country leadership approval.
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Overview of CHAI’s Vaccines Program
To ensure all children have access to effective and affordable immunization, addressing the main causes of child mortality, CHAI’s Vaccines Markets Team works with vaccine manufacturers, Gavi and other global stakeholders to improve availability, affordability and diversity of supply for existing and future Gavi vaccines. In doing this, CHAI is applying the techniques it has used successfully to improve access to HIV/AIDS and malaria treatment: improving market demand transparency for individual suppliers, and working closely with these suppliers to optimize their commercial, costing and pricing strategies in low and middle income markets. In doing so, this ensures the availability of vaccines at affordable yet commercially sustainable prices.
Since 2011, CHAI has worked in vaccine market shaping and has negotiated price reductions for major vaccines. For example, earlier work has resulted in a reduction in the price of rotavirus vaccine by two-thirds, resulting in savings of over US$600M for global donors and governments over 5 years and a reduction in the price of pentavalent vaccine by 45%, generating savings of $150M over 4 years.
Some selected news articles about CHAI’s work on access in vaccines and other areas are listed here:
The pandemic context has only reinforced the importance of CHAI’s Vaccines Markets team’s work, coupling the need to ensure supply security for existing vaccines, for which demand and supply dynamics are being disrupted, with the need to accelerate time to market of a suitable COVID-19 vaccine on an unprecedented time frame. CHAI is working closely with many partners towards this goal.
The Vaccines Markets team is seeking a Program Manager lead a small team and supplier-facing engagements to achieve affordable yet sustainable global vaccine prices and supply, with a particular focus on Gavi-supported vaccines for Gavi eligible countries. The Program Manager will be responsible for managing several key supplier relationships, conducting business planning engagements and driving a global supplier sustainability agenda. The Program Manager will also be involved in CHAI’s COVID-19 work with global health partners. The role requires extensive collaboration with CHAI’s vaccine delivery team, external partners (e.g., Gavi, BMGF, CEPI, Linksbridge) and other members of the Vaccines Markets team.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding strategic, analytical, communication and leadership skills. The successful candidate will adhere to the core CHAI values of resourcefulness, entrepreneurialism, flexibility, independence, humility, and work ethic. The Program Manager will report to the Associate Director, Vaccine Markets Team. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage a remote team of 2-3 Associates on projects to strengthen supply security and affordability of current and future priority vaccines in low- and middle-income countries.
- Build and lead relationships with suppliers that currently produce or have the potential to produce relevant antigens for developing markets, with a focus on Indian suppliers.
- Lead the design and subsequent project management of specific business planning projects with select suppliers.
- Guide and manage the Associates involved in these business planning projects to conduct analyses related to vaccine market dynamics (e.g., demand forecasts, uptake models and market access strategies; production development, cost reduction and manufacturing strategies) and supplier sustainability.
- Lead CHAI Vaccines Markets Team’s strategy development on supplier sustainability and related engagements. Specifically, this entails taking a holistic business, portfolio, pipeline, and market perspective to support Developing Country Vaccines Manufacturers (DCVMs) in becoming commercially sustainable, reliable LMIC suppliers.
- Lead preparations of presentations, reports, and other analyses to inform global policy and increase the evidence base for high-impact interventions.
- Creatively scope and initiate projects that contribute to further improving supply sustainability and accessibility of vaccines for low-income countries.
- Support the development of concept notes, donor proposals and reports, and initiation of new projects.
- Any other duties as required by the Associate Director, Vaccine Markets.
- 25-30% international travel time required once situation allows.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree with strong academic performance required
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in a fast paced, results-oriented work environment
- Proven team management skills with a good eye for people development/coaching
- Clear strategic/structured thinker with very strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Proven project management skills and the ability to work independently and effectively in a high-performance, dynamic environment and handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English with the ability to represent CHAI externally; fluency in other languages is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with individuals of varying levels of seniority
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and remote environment
- Excellent proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Strong commitment to teamwork, team mission, and hard work
- Advanced degree in Business, Economics, Public Health or other related disciplines
- Experience in strategy consulting, investment banking or pharmaceuticals is strongly preferred
- Experience working with vaccine manufacturers or with country facing vaccines work is a strong plus
- Prior knowledge or experience of global health partners
- Experience living and working in low-resource settings
We are an inclusive workplace and promote and integrate fairness, respect, equality, and dignity into CHAI’s culture. We take a firm stance against discrimination and harassment and foster an environment where people with a multiplicity of personal characteristics, including race, color, religion, sex or gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, HIV status, political or interest group affiliation, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, parental or pregnancy status or any other characteristic, are embraced and valued. We therefore welcome and encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds. In this context, candidates who would find this beneficial can connect with a mentor and benefit from coaching throughout the interview process.