Design Technical Engineer (SY-ABT-KDC-2021-47-LD)
Geneva (United States of America)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a qualified and proactive Design Technical Engineer, willing to become an expert in the mechanical design of equipment for one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then this opportunity is for you. Join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world! CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators, working within the Accelerator Beam Transfer Group (ABT), which is in charge of the design, development, construction, installation, exploitation, and maintenance of all the particle beam injection as well as the extraction equipment of the CERN’s accelerator complex.
You will be working in the Kicker Design & Construction (KDC) section, covering several subdomains of mechanical engineering and joining a multidisciplinary team of experts.
As a Design Technical Engineer you will take part in the design and integration of the beam transfer systems equipment across the entire accelerator complex - which includes magnets, pulsed power systems, high voltage subsystems, infrastructure of installations, and other project-related injection and extraction equipment.
In close collaboration with the experts of the Group, you will:
- Participate in all phases of the mechanical design process: conceptual design, technical drawings, specifications and documentation;
- Produce the design and integration of mechanical systems and components using computer-aided design tool;
- Deliver manufacturing drawings to ISO GPS standards in collaboration with a team of engineers;
- Contribute to the technical specifications, manufacturing folders and follow-up of production at CERN and external suppliers;
- Take part in the follow-up of the manufacturing and assembling of mechanical components.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated working experience as a designer in a mechanical design office;
- Demonstrated experience with 3D and 2D technical drawing software.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: proficiency in CATIA V5 or equivalent 3D modelling software, advanced knowledge of drawing annotations with ISO GPS standard dimensioning.
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures: ability to analyse and solve basic mechanical engineering problems using strength of materials and materials selection principles.
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment: knowledge of usual manufacturing methods, processes, coating procedures and assembly methods.
- Archiving and records management: ability to write and properly archive technical reports and documentation.
- Design of electromechanical systems: knowledge of the design and construction requirements of high-voltage, under-vacuum, electromagnetic or electrostatic devices.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts.
- Spoken French: ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.06.2021 by 12 pm CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-ABT-KDC-2021-47-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technical Engineer