4S End-to-End System Engineer
Vacancy in the Directorate of Telecommunications and Integrated Applications.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. For this purpose, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
or ESA Headquarters, Paris, France, with a resident assignment at the ESA Business Incubation Centre (BIC), Paris or Toulouse.
The 4S (Space Systems for Safety and Security) Strategic Programme Line (SPL) is one of the three main strategic thrusts of the ESA programme in the field of telecommunications (ARTES). It focuses on next generation SATCOM solutions serving governmental security needs and critical infrastructures and/or applications, therefore, with a strong emphasis on security, safety, resilience and sovereignty in their design, manufacturing and operations. 4S covers solutions either providing secure communication services (NG SATCOM) in support of critical applications (Air Traffic Management, etc.) or improving the security of communications, for instance through the quantum distribution of encryption keys (QKD).
While moving forward towards next generation SATCOM infrastructures, overall system and technical consistency needs to be ensured. In addition, deploying representative system and service testbed(s) is essential both with a view to consolidating the identification and detailed requirement of innovative system features as well as to convincing user communities of the benefits of disruptive services.
You will report to the 4S Strategic Programme Line Manager and be responsible for the overall system and technical consistency of service and system level activities and the end-to-end operational aspects of the design, development, deployment and operation of such testbeds.
- Leading the overall effort to ensure system and technical consistency of service and system level 4S activities;
- Leading the service and system level activities for the development and deployment of representative system and service testbeds of next generation secure SATCOM infrastructure serving governmental users and critical infrastructures/applications in Europe;
- Supporting upcoming ESA 4S ITTs and Industrial Proposal assessment under 4S as required. This includes participation in tender evaluation boards (TEBs) or acting as Technical Officer, as required;
- Supporting the preparation of upcoming ESA lead demonstration projects, as required;
- Supporting the individual projects resulting from ESA ITTs under 4S or projects proposed by industry in direct negotiation;
- Leading the overall service- and system-level activities for upcoming ESA-initiated demonstration projects;
- Supporting the project Technical Leads in the preparation of requirements documents and their related review cycles, maintenance of the Mission Requirements and preparation of the Project Plan;
- Supporting the infrastructure project reviews, as needed, providing expertise on the E2E Service and System aspects and the Concept of Operations;
- Liaising with several industrial partners, other ESA departments and directorates, as well as delegates from ESA Member States, as needed;
- Supporting the preparation of promotional material and presentations for presentation of the 4S programme to the ESA Member States and delegations.
A Master's degree in (telecommunications) engineering.
You should have a demonstrated 10 to 15 years of experience and expertise in satcom systems, products and technology, with the emphasis on end-to-end system engineering.
The successful candidate must already have, or be eligible to obtain, security clearance from the national authorities.
Frequent travel to the other ESA establishments is required.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
The closing date for applications is 16 June 2021.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States. (https://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.