International Monitoring and Evaluation Expert
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO is supporting the Government of Bangladesh and stakeholders in the implementation of a GEF funded project, the “Community-based Climate Resilient Fisheries and Aquaculture Development in Bangladesh - GCP/BGD/055/LDF”. The project aims to remove key barriers to effective adaptation to climate change and build resilience of the fishery and aquaculture sector through policy reform and capacity development. The project will mainstream climate change in the national fisheries and aquaculture policy and related strategies, and build the capacity of the government fisheries officials, national stakeholders, and communities whose livelihoods depend on fisheries.
The poor communities whose livelihoods are based on fisheries and impacted by climate change will technically, and financially benefit from project interventions, including capacity development to adapt to the adverse impacts of climate change and variability. Climate resilient technologies will be promoted among the target groups and community resilient action plans will be developed for the coastal and inland aquatic ecosystems in the project areas (covering an area of about 4,790 km2). The project long-term sustainability for the fisheries and aquaculture sector, will be attained through up scaling and replication of climate resilient adaptation options across Bangladesh, and strengthening the capacity of Department of Fisheries (DoF), partner organizations and local communities on understanding climate change implications, resilient planning, and adaptation.
To properly track the implementation of project activities and efficiently achieve the project outputs and increase project positive impacts, technical support is required to the PMSU and DoF in developing the project M&E framework performance indicators, developing project information database, review of project achievements, preparation for mid-term evaluation, and dissemination of project results. The International Monitoring and Evaluation Expert must be willing to spend part of the contract period to travel to Dhaka and undertake field visits to selected project sites.
The International Monitoring and Evaluation Expert will work under the overall administrative supervision of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh, the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Unit (LTU) and the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) at the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP), the National Operations Officer and in consultation with DoF.
The International Monitoring and Evaluation Experts will support PMSU and DoF in developing and refining of the project M&E framework, creation of project information database and preparation of project mid-term evaluation
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support PMSU and DoF, to develop the project monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework performance indicators based on the project document, refining the same based on suggestions from inception workshop and mid-term evaluation.
- Support PMSU to develop an informative data base relevant for all aspects of the project activities.
- Support PMSU in conducting project activity implementation review outlining project achievements against the project M&E framework indicators, challenges and lessons learnt and based on those update the GEF -TT in meeting mid-term evaluation requirements
- Support PMSU and DoF in preparation of mid-term project evaluation.
- Build capacity of PMSU and national counterpart in updating the GEF-TT for meeting the final evaluation requirement
- Assist PMSU and DoF in assessing, identification, publication and dissemination of project best practices, case studies, results, impacts, lessons learnt to GoB, research/academic institutions, NGOs/CBOs, and the private sector.
- Submit end of assignment report highlighting task undertaken and progress achieved as mentioned above.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced Degree/MSc in Business Administration / Environmental Science/ Development Economics/ / Social Sciences or any related discipline;
· 10 years’ level A of Experience in the specified field.
· Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another official language of FAO.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Demonstrated working experience on the above-mentioned expertise in monitoring and evaluation in developing country situations, particularly in South East Asia;
· Hands-on experience and deep understanding of programme management and monitoring & evaluation of projects in the fisheries sector
· Excellent communication skills including strong writing skills, proven ability to convey complex ideas through clear communication, and concise reports, and effective oral presentations.
- Demonstrated experience to design M&E framework including informative database for the project management and monitoring, particularly in the fisheries sector;
- Experience working with FAO and GEF funded projects including knowledge of GEF tracking tools, conducting mid-term and final evaluations;
- Ability to interact with stakeholders including government officials and diverse range of project counterparts;
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency