Washington D.C. (United States of America)
Job Title: Technical Advisor I
Based in: Washington, DC
Reports to: Global Medical Director
Department: Sexual & Reproductive Health
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it's global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
The Sexual and Reproductive Health Department supports programs in over 30 countries (and counting) to deliver high-quality sexual reproductive health and rights programs to women, men, girls and boys. PSI believes all people can and should have control of their sexuality, sexual health and fertility. This is best achieved when people have greater voice, choice and agency over the processes and services that most affect them. PSI's global goals drive toward ensuring universal access to sexual and reproductive health services. Our approach is grounded in ensuring that the rights of the consumer are protected and promoted so that everyone has access to quality care and comprehensive information without discrimination of any kind.
We are looking for a Technical Advisor I join the Quality of Care team, a small but mighty unit of clinical advisors and technical advisors who provide vision and support to PSI's global, regional, and bilateral SRH programs to create and maintaining Quality of Care systems that always place the client at the center. The Technical Advisor I will support the technical functions of a technical department, project, or network member, including supporting implementation of technical activities in line with PSI and global best practices. May contribute to internal capacity building efforts across the PSI network.
- Technical: Contribute to the development and implementation of the department's, project's, or network member's technical activities and strategy. Provide remote and in-country technical assistance to build capacity of network members to effectively deliver results in line with PSI and global best practices and the department's, project's, or network member's technical strategy. Contribute to development and implementation of department's, project's, or network member's workplans in collaboration with program management team with oversight from manager. Contribute to report writing and development of technical guidance.
- Program Management: Provide inputs into development of budget by department's, project's, or network member's program management team.
- Representation: Represent the department, project, or network member internally within the PSI network. May represent the department, project, or network member externally.
- Thought Leadership / Knowledge Management: Contribute to the development and implementation of the department's, project's, or network member's thought leadership and knowledge management agenda, including the development and internal and external dissemination of technical and programmatic briefs, webinars, reports, and manuscripts.
- Fundraising: Contribute to new business development by writing or reviewing proposals.**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor's Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field.
- Master's Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (i.e. MPH, MSc, MPP, MPA, MBA) preferred.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience. Equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted.
- Demonstrate technical knowledge in relevant technical area.
- Experience in New Business Development preferred
- Ability to provide technical assistance to the PSI network with support.
- Ability to produce technical products and tools with oversight and direction.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal colleagues. Able to work as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to contribute to technical approach for proposals and demonstrated strong technical writing skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365. Familiarity with a quantitative or qualitative data analysis program preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficiency in French preferred.
- Cultural humility and respect.
References will be required.
The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
Measurement:You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You'll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won't be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty:You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it's the only way you'll learn and improve.
Collaboration:You'll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won't succeed.
Trust:You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment:You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.