Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS is undertaking a three-year project that aims to improve basic living conditions for returnees in the liberated rural areas of Al-Anbar governorate through the rehabilitation of up to 1,000 housing units and restoration of decentralized services. The decentralized services component will entail the provision of solar street lighting, the rehabilitation of selected community roads, and of water and sanitation networks and/or stations. When feasible, the rehabilitated housing units will be connected to the restored decentralized services taking into consideration the whole neighborhood. The rehabilitation of housing and basic services will be guided by a needs-based approach.
Summary of Key Functions:● Provision of reliable and secure driving services
● Proper use of vehicle
● Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
● Availability of documents/ supplies
● Immediate action in case of accident
- Provides reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of Regional Director/Head of Office, other high-ranking officials and visitors b) collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items; and c) meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Ensures proper use of vehicles through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc.; performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs; and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Provides administrative, logistical and procurement support:
- Timely processing of incoming and outgoing mail and documentation; maintenance of the corresponding register and distribution as appropriate;
- Support to organization of and logistical preparation for field trips, visiting missions, meetings, conferences, workshops, retreats; preparation of logistics arrangements, including circulation of the documentation to be reviewed;
- Conferences, workshops, retreats; preparation of logistics arrangements, including circulation of the documentation to be reviewed;
- Receipt of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for shipments (received/sent), arrangements for shipments. Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions, drafting correspondence related to shipments/customs clearance;
- Arrangement of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the UNOPS services.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent; drivers training with a valid driver’s license.
- Three years of work experience as a driver; safe driving record.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Fluency in written and oral Arabic and basic knowledge of English is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA
Contract level: LICA 3
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Baghdad is not a UN Family Duty Station
- The position is a local position and is open to nationals only.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.