International Expert Study Research on Financing TVET in the Arab Region
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Beirut
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 13/06/2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO Beirut Office is currently seeking a consultant to conduct study research and guidelines on Financing Technical and Vocational Training (TVET) in the Arab Region. This assignment is intended to assess the present TVET financing systems of different countries across the region, detect their strength and weakness, identify opportunities for reforming the TVET financing systems, and provide practical guidelines in forming feasible TVET financing models both at national and regional levels. It aims to strengthen the capacity to mobilize the means to develop and reinforce effective TVET, further transforming the current supply-driven system to the one responsive to the evolving needs of industries and labour markets.
The purpose of the Study Research on Financing TVET in the Arab Region is to assess the present system relative to TVET financing in Arab states with its strength and weakness, and identify opportunities for reforming the TVET financing systems and for widening the scope of financing TVET. The study report is intended to cover the whole Arab region, contributing to the implementation of Target 4.7 of SDG 4 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Consistent with the mandate, the Project will be hiring a consultant to:
- Undertake comprehensive research and analysis regarding TVET financing systems in the region, through desk review, literature review, analyses, etc;
- Form a regional report on financing TVET in the Arab region, and present a financing TVET model as an outcome of the study;
- Provide a practical guideline for the TVET stakeholders of the member states and the region to form effective TVET financing models at national and regional levels. The practical guideline shall include, but not limited to (public-private partnerships, financing Work-based Learning (WBL) mechanisms, training levies and training programmes funds, gender-sensitive funding, TVET systems self-funding etc.). The guidelines shall provide TVET funding best practices from other countries to benefit Arab States.
- Organize two-three online training sessions for delivering the research content and guidelines to key TVET stakeholders and managers.Outputs
- Produce a regional report on financing TVET which identify challenges, practices, alternative funding sources and tools to support policymakers and TVET practitioners to develop efficient and effective mechanisms for financing TVET Systems;
- Organize online training sessions around the study and guideline for key TVET stakeholders and managers for raising awareness, and share relevant knowledge regarding the issue;
- Inform TVET policymakers and practitioners on how to design and manage effective funding mechanisms to support TVET Systems;
- Provide policy advice and guidelines to TVET policymakers and key stakeholders to identify alternative methods for funding TVET and exploring how the existing financial resources could optimally be utilized;
- Enhance and strengthen capacities of TVET policymakers and practitioners for widening the scope of financing TVET.
Please find the detailed description of the position in the attached TOR.Long Description Long Description COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Relevant academic qualifications, preferably in disciplines such as education, technical and vocational education studies, public policy, economics, labour market, development studies, and other appropriate fields of social science.
At least seven years of professional experience in TVET & skills development systems
Demonstrated technical proficiency in TVET institutions and systems
Experience in conducting researches in the field of education through collecting and analyzing data and preparing & presenting data; specifically, experience conducted research on TVET will be preferable
Solid experience in developing practical guidelines & technical manuals on TVET and in particular financing TVET systems
Relevant knowledge & experience in economics and labour market research and analysis and mechanisms of building partnerships between TVET institutions and LM institutions and policy making
Extensive experience in economics, management of TVET institutions, TVET governance, policy and strategy development & in mechanisms of building/strengthening partnerships between TVET institutions and LM institutions
Experience of developing financing mechanism of Sector Wide Approach in TVET will be an advantage
Published academic work is encouraged to attach & share when applying for the position
Knowledge and experience working with government ministries, UN systems, private sector & development organizations/partners in the region will be an asset
A comprehensive understanding of the TVET situation in the Arab region
Proven expertise & excellence in academic research & reporting, both in quantitative and qualitative methods
Ability to carry out and deliver research in a timely manner
Fluent written and spoken English is required; good knowledge of Arabic is a plusDESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
Rename the “BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS” title to “APPLICATION PROCESS”, and use additional sections if required to add other relevant information.
Otherwise you can delete this section.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.