Regional Program Development Officer, North East Africa
South Sudan (South Sudan)
A day in the life of a Regional Program Development Officer
At Samaritan’s Purse, the Gospel really is the center of all we do! We start each day with a time of devotions and prayer. We hear from members of our staff, both from IHQ and our global offices, as well a special guest speakers who encourage us in God’s word. We then join together to prayer for one another, as well as praying for staff and volunteers who serve around the globe. We get paid to start each day this way!
The Regional Program Development Officer (RPDO) will live and work within the Northeast Africa region. The RPDO will work closely with the regional team and respective country office leadership teams to help drive programmatic vision in Sudan and South Sudan. The incumbent will provide consultation in processes related to proposal development, including writing, editing and the compilation of lessons learned. The RPDO will also provide technical assistance to Samaritan’s Purse (SP) field offices during the life of the project. This position reports to the Regional Director.
Some of these responsibilities include the following:
- Develop programs and proposals for field offices using current Samaritans Purse program models and best practices. The RPDO will assist as needed in the implementation of proposals they write, including the development of assessments, baselines, monitoring and evaluation strategies, reporting and closeout.
- Ensure that Grants Managers and Program Development Officer within the region are developing and managing programs in accordance with grantor rules and regulations.
- Build the capacity of field offices. This will include skills development pertaining to general program development, behavior change communication, and quantitative/qualitative monitoring and evaluation.
- Actively build relationships on behalf of field offices with bilateral donors, international non-government organizations, and other agencies.
Check out why people love serving with Samaritan’s Purse: https://bit.ly/2F8Nom5
Qualifications & Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must maintain a personal relationship with and be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, as well as able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability work with culturally diverse groups of people and live under difficult conditions.
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently. A strong team player and adept at creating a strong team spirit.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of major grantors and applicable requirements, including USAID, BHA (OFDA/FFP), BPRM, UNHCR, WFP, FAO, GAC, DFID.
- Ability to analyze data and project activities against core documents, policies, humanitarian ethics and organizational goals.
- Technical writing skills including the ability to develop proposals, training/instruction manuals, and reports.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year college or university in international affairs, development, politics or another related field of study.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of related grants/contracts management experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior field experience implementing relief and development programs.
- Experience working for international non-government organizations, preferably in Africa.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation and applicable requirements for major grantors.
- Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
- Type (Full-Time/Part-Time/Associate): Full-Time
- Restrictions (Accompanied/Non-Accompanied): Non-Accompanied
- Language Requirement: English Fluency Required
- Travel Expectations:This position may require extensive travel in and out of the field and within the region.
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- Annual home leave
- Twelve vacation days per year
- Samaritans Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritans Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritans Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing Gods love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.