The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Since 2007, IRC has worked with refugees and other vulnerable populations in Jordan.IRC’s programs in Jordan focuses on urban interventions in the north that address gender-based violence specifically violence against women and girls for Syrian refugees and host community members as well as reproductive health care to Syrian refugees through two clinics based in Ramtha and Mafraq and a primary health care facility in Zaatari refugee camp.Since January 2013, IRC also carries out Child Protection programs in Syrian refugee camps, providing specialized services for the identification, support and protection of unaccompanied children (UAC) and other children at risk.
Job Overview/Summary:The Gynecologist- part time will be based in the three IRC reproductive health facilities on rotational basis. The gynecologist- part time will cover up to 11 working days every month the three IRC reproductive health facilities in Azarq camp according to IRC call. The position will be mainly responsible for providing quality clinical care to the patients suffering from obstetric and gynecological problems and referral of patients to the hospital in the camp when needed.
Major Responsibilities:The Gynecologist will be specifically responsible for performing the following duties:
- Taking detailed obstetric and gynecological history from the patients accessing the IRC reproductive health clinics for receiving services
- Conduct detailed gynecological and obstetric examination of patients according to the nature of the presenting complaints
- Provide clinical care for and treat women during prenatal, natal, and postnatal periods referred by the midwives and as per the services available at the IRC reproductive health clinics
- Prescribe or administer therapy, medication, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury related to gynecological and obstetric issues
- Further screen the high risk obstetric and gynecological cases referred by midwives, confirm the diagnosis and refer the cases to the available hospital in the camp for receiving the required treatment
- Provide detailed history, details of examination conducted on the patients and findings while referring the patients to the camp hospital
- Refer the gynecological and obstetric cases to the general physicians in the health facility if the cases suffer from medical problems
- Supervise the midwives deployed at the IRC reproductive health clinics in performing Intra Uterine Contraceptive Devices and Implanon insertion and removal
- Provide technical guidance to the midwives deployed at the IRC reproductive health clinics in order to ensure good quality of reproductive health servicesprovided to the beneficiaries
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: RH Specialist
Position directly supervises: none
Other Internal and/or external contacts.
Internal: Referral officer Azraq, senior health program manager