Staff Interpreter - Occasional
Salt Lake City (United States of America)
About the IRC: Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. In the U.S., the IRC resettles approximately 11,000 refugees per year and provides numerous program services to assist the refugee from their arrival through citizenship. The IRC in Salt Lake City opened it office in 1994 and provides resettlement services through extended case management to newly arrived refugees for up to 24-months as well as over twenty different programs to educate and empower refugees.
Job Overview: The Interpreter provides in-person and/or remote interpretation to facilitate, with accuracy, impartiality, and confidentiality, the language needs of Limited English Proficient (LEP) individuals and their service providers. Activities include providing professional interpretation services, use of software to track assignments, and occasional trainings and assessments. As part of the interpreting team, interpreters will receive structured professional development support and exposure to all program areas within IRC SLC. The interpreter will work on average 10/15 hours weekly and no more than 18.5 hours per week. The following languages are needed:
·Kinyarwanda or Kirundi
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide accurate, impartial, and confidential interpretation to LEP individuals and service providers in a variety of settings, including clinics, hospitals, schools, community-based organizations, and government agencies. Services may be rendered in-person, via telephone, videoconference, or other virtual means.
- Assist clients in filling out a variety of forms for program eligibility, school enrollments/waivers, registration and medical history, and legal paperwork.
- Track assignments and work hours within designated software.
- Participate in trainings and assessments.
- May require providing transportation of clients to appointments.
- Comply with all policies and protocols of the agency.
- May support special projects and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.