Economic Recovery Team Leader
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job
The Economic Recovery Team Leader (EcRec TL) supervises and coordinates all economic recovery projects and activities, which including basic assistance, in form of multi-purpose cash assistance, and livelihoods. The livelihoods projects are specifically focused on employability services to vulnerable job seekers and on business support for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Beirut.
S/he will manage all the aspects of the economic recovery projects in Beirut, including team management, technical implementation and monitoring, budget follow-up, reporting, etc. S/he will ensure the Economic Recovery programme is delivered to a high quality in line with DRC, donor and international standards. In addition, s/he will build the technical knowledge and capacity of the Economic Recovery team in Beirut with the support of the Economic Recovery Coordinator. S/he will ensure good coordination with other actors in the sector and between DRC’s programmatic sector teams, and will be actively engaged with the different partners, as well as represent DRC’s Economic Recovery sector in working groups and coordination for a in Beirut and Mount Lebanon.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programme delivery and technical support
- Lead the implementation of Economic Recovery programming in the field ensuring a high level of quality in line with DRC’s quality standards and donor’s standards and regulations.
- Ensure the timely and quality achievements of the activities, which includes planning the activities and sharing tasks among the team, monitoring the work of the team and the achievement, visiting the activities.
- Develop and revise the project work plans, oversee timely and proper implementation progress and monitor achievements (quantitatively and qualitatively) through field visits.
- Collaborate with partners on the management of the projects, in terms of targets and activities, metholodgy, and ensure a smooth collaboration and communication with the said partners.
- Proactively identify programme related risks, supporting the identification and implementation of mitigation measures.
- Provide technical and managerial daily support, training and mentoring for the Economic Recovery staff and other DRC teams as relevant, conduct performance evaluations, and design capacity building plans to support their development.
- Line manage the Economic Recovery Teams in Beirut, Mount Lebanon, supporting them to implement the projects through day-to-day oversight and mentoring, including preparation of weekly action plans to deliver activities as per project proposals and targets.
- Closely coordinate with DRC’s other sector managers for all relevant activities to ensure the implementation of DRC’s integrated approach and to make sure Protection is mainstreamed in all Economic Recovery projects.
- Support the development and update of sector strategies and engage in the development of new programme design, in close coordination with the Economic Recovery Coordinator.
Grant implementation and reporting
- Verify data entered in the internal reporting system including Excel, Word, PowerPoint or Information Management database.
- Contribute to reports for donors in the agreed formats;
- Manage project budgets and update work plans and budget forecasts on a monthly basis, and ensure that expenses have been allocated to the correct budget lines.
- Provide regular feedback to senior management including the Area Programme Manager and the Economic Recovery coordinator on progress and achievements, lessons learned, gaps, issues and problems.
- Oversee the preparation of relevant documents related to procurement, administration and human resources, in line with the need of the projects and DRC internal procedures (including procurement and HR plans, Order Requests, Bill of Quantities, movement plans, security clearances etc.)
Programme and project design and development
- Support the Area Programme Manager and the Economic Recovery coordinator in the design of projects and development of Concept Notes and Proposals with the technical supervision of the Economic Recovery coordinator.
- Support the Area Programme Manager in developing the Programme Management Tool at the project kick-off and inception phase (budget forecast, workplan, procurement plan, HR plan) – to be updated throughout the project period.
Coordination and representation
- Represent DRC at Beirut Mont Lebanon-level working groups on livelihoods, basic assistance, and other fora as required.
- Liaise with other NGOs and stakeholders at regional level to assess needs and collaborate on the design of programmes to meet those needs.
- Liaise with partner NGOs in the implementation of the joint project, by sharing data required, information, methodology, coordinating in terms of geographical areas and ensuring a smooth and constant communication.
- Coordinate with the Economic Recovery Coordinator and other colleagues in DRC offices across Lebanon to share learning and to harmonize tools and approaches.
- Coordinate with the M&E teams to ensure timely oversight of ongoing programming, and to inform changes in programme implementation strategies as necessary.
- Carry out additional tasks as requested by the Area Programme Manager and the Economic Recovery coordinator.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of managing Livelihoods and specifically business support projects in diverse contexts.
- Proven knowledge of basic concept of sustainable livelihoods and development.
- Proven experience in programming such as Business Development Support and Employability support.
- Experience working with NGO (previous experience working with INGO is an advantage).
- Experience working in Beirut Mont Lebanon context is an advantage.
- Experience of staff management and capacity building.
- Proficiency in the use of ‘office systems’ (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Commitment to and understanding of DRC’s aims, values and principles
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a related field, including: international development, international economic development, business, economics, etc.
- Fluency in written and oral Arabic is a must
- Fluency in written and oral English is a must
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 1 year contract
Band: G – Management
Location: Beirut, Mount Lebanon.
Suggested Start date: 1st of July 2021
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Closing date for applications: June 23, 2021
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, DRC reserves the right of conducting tests and
interviews before the closing date, and can close the advertisement earlier in case of finding a
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org