Electrical Engineer / Retainer
multiple cities in syria
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Project Background"The objective of this project is to increase the capacities of the national health sector in the provision of life-saving and life sustaining services to populations affected by the ongoing conflict and the COVID-19 pandemic through the procurement and installation of critically needed medical equipment. UNOPS is proposing to procure, distribute, and install medical equipment for COVID-19 emergency response to over 40 health facilities in Syria located in 10 Syrian governorates. The targeted facilities will be selected in coordination with WHO" .
The functions/duties/key results of the assignment
The Electrical Engineer shall work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager. The Electrical Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any designs assigned, supervision, commissioning and related documentation works. He/she is responsible for ensuring high quality design, documentation and site works are carried out on time and on or under budget.
The tasks would involve the following but not limited to:
- Timely prepare / review the electrical engineering designs and documentation in compliance with all relevant design codes and standards, UNOPS design manual and project requirements
- Timely coordination and follow up with the design firm and stakeholders to complete the preparation / review of different phases of designs, specifications, BoQs of the electrical services.
- Respond to the queries raised by stakeholders and UNOPS Design Review Team during final review of completed design package;
- Coordination and supervision of installation of the electrical services of projects;
- Assist the project team and logistics division in procurement of electrical related items and equipment;
- Design and review electrical installation and services in buildings; illumination system, Air Conditioning, switchboards, CCTV, security and burglar systems, etc..
- Assist contract division in preparing and evaluation of tender documents of electrical services (specifications, BOQs, rates etc.);
- Design and produce electrical services design calculations, drawings and scope of works;
- Review and approve Submittals of Technical Material and Shop Drawings submitted by the Contractors or Design Consultants for electrical services of projects;
- Manage testing, commission, training and handover of electrical deliverables to clients.
Governance, Monitoring and Reporting
- Conduct electrical and electromechanical engineering assessment of infrastructure facilities, and produce report and corresponding estimates,
- Review electrical systems designs for Infrastructure projects in terms of accuracy, suitability to overall design requirements, including identifying improvements in the designs and be able to propose practical solutions,
- Prepare / review design briefs and the design reports related to electrical works that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary,
- Design / review & analyze electrical engineering services for projects designed by external design firm and / or in-house as requested utilizing research, development, relevant codes and good engineering practices,
- Preparation and / or review of comprehensive electrical design documentation, specifications and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing as stipulated by the Project Manager.
- Work closely with Design firms and other Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design,
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs,
- Carry out design / review of services for projects according to the client’s design requirement and as per international standards and codes of practices,
- Carry out site inspections and assessments and prepare reports when required,
- Proactively manage the design/review projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints,
- Follow up the contractual obligation of the contractor/s on the site and secure the testing of the installed products in order to verify their quality as being an integral part of both design and manufacture.
- Site supervision and give direction to contractors on all related electrical services issues,
- Approve electrical services submittals and advice on suitable alterations,
- Review and certify the submitted payment certificate for the electrical services works
- Maintain records for all site memos and instructions, inspections, testing, shop drawings review, measured quantities of work and material on site, photos, etc..
- Liaise with stakeholders and address requirements,
- Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design,
- Prepare estimates and prices for new project development works,
- Coordinate with the team to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned,
- Manage electrical engineering related material archiving
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to electrical works
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Project Manager.
- Ensure Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSE) measures are implemented throughout the project implementation, as per the country PSEA action plan, as well as embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design and renovation phases.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- A Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in design, supervision or implementation of electrical works
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in design, supervision or implementation of electrical works in buildings construction with additional 2 years of relevant experience.
- At least 2 years of experience in electrical systems design and construction for medium to large scale construction projects in Iraq or the Middle east.
- Good knowledge in power distribution systems (single phase and three phase – conduit laying, wiring, installation of electrical works, fittings, etc.), lighting systems, illumination systems, fire alarm systems, solar systems, access control systems, industrial equipment control, telecommunication systems, testing and commission of electrical system, and preparing of BOQs and supervision & monitoring of electrical works, with demonstrated capacity to meet performance indicators, and deliver results preferably in an international development environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD”.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
Fluency in both English and Arabic language is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Specialist
Contract level: LICA Specialist 9
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This position is open to Nationals ONLY.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.