Bidibidi - Yumbe District
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education and power.
The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), refugees and various institutions in the country, notably the government, community-based organizations (CBOs), civil society organizations (CBOs) and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health and nutrition, support to persons with specific needs (PSNs) including case management, legal assistance to refugees, prevention and response to gender-based violence, Education and economic recovery and development (ERD). The IRC has a country office in Kampala and field offices in Amudat, Imvepi, Kyegegwa, Lamwo, Moroto/ Kiryandongo and Yumbe, as well as an urban office in Nsambya within Kampala.
Scope of work
Under the direct supervision of the Fleet Assistant, the Full time Driver will provide transportation support to the West Nile Program including field site offices, as well as visitors to IRC.
Duties and responsibilities
- Inspect and record the condition of the vehicle on a daily basis; prepare weekly maintenance checklist.
- Ensure timely servicing and maintenance of IRC vehicles (complete service request forms and maintain service maintenance records); report to head driver any mechanical problems.
- Ensure vehicle is insured and all legal documents are in order at all times; inform fleet Assistant three weeks in advance of any renewals due (i.e. insurance, road license, etc.).
- Conduct daily assessments of road conditions and security situation.
- Drive IRC program staff in a safe and courteous manner to field sites across the district.
- Deliver mail/messages as directed.
- Operate HF and VHF mobile radio equipment.
- Maintain cleanliness of interior/exterior of vehicle.
- Give accurate reconciliation within the given period.
- Obey IRC vehicle policy and operating procedures at all times (use of logbook, no drinking and driving, signing out vehicle on vehicle registry and so on).
- Assist the fleet assistant in loading cargo for road/air transport.
- Assist with other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
Key working relationships
Position Reports to: Supply chain AssistantPosition directly supervises:None
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC staff
Standards for Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct.These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications is June 8th,2021