GBV Prevention and Community Engagement Officer
Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) (www.Rescue.org) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster, to survive, recover and gain control of their future. The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work today in over 42 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. IRC has worked in Liberia since 1996 and is one of the largest humanitarian actors in the country.
The IRC has worked in partnership with the Ministry of Gender, Children, and Social Protection (MOGCSP), the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Crimes Unit to serve as allies to women and girls and create safer communities for all.
The GBV Prevention Officer will be based in Monrovia, and will be responsible for coordinating community-based structures including male groups, Engaging Men and Boys in Accountable Practice (EMAP) Curricula, community-based sensitization and activism activities, adolescent girl and WAGs groups. The GBV Prevention Officer will ensure that these groups are equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to disseminate information and advocate for positive change within their communities.
The GBV Prevention Officer will supervise all community mobilization and advocacy activities including capacity building of local partners, and will lead safety audit and risk reduction strategies that meet the safety needs of women and girls. The successful candidate will L\lead prevention activities in One Stop Center (OSC) catchment Communities.
- Create awareness on diverse GBV prevention topics, focusing particularly on men and boys.
- Ensure that information, education, and communication materials are developed and posted in key locations in OSC catchment communities including clinics, schools, and community centers.
- Explain key GBV messages to local community members.
- Mobilize community groups operating within OSC catchment communities to engage as community mobilizers on gender and GBV issues.
- Conduct trainings with support from supervisor on gender and GBV issues with community groups and develop action plan for group activities.
Engaging Men through Accountable Prentice (EMAP with Men and Adolescent Boys)
- With support from supervisor, identify and recruit men & adolescent boys into EMAP groups in Montserrado, Nimba, and Lofa
- Participate in training sessions for male allies and women groups to serve as co-facilitators for EMAP sessions.
- Organize and hold weekly EMAP sessions over a period of 8 weeks with women’s group members.
- Organize and hold weekly sessions over a period of 16 weeks with male EMAP participants and over a period of 27 weeks with adolescent boys EMAP participants.
- Support and supervise partners conduct EMAP team meetings.
- Continue to provide support for and training to community-based activists on advocacy to enhance their knowledge and skills.
- Supervise and compile weekly update, and monthly report.
- Support partners collect girls voices and integrate them in during the boys discussion sessions
Financial and Logistical Responsibilities:
- Communicate program progress, constraints, needs identified, and any other matters pertaining to the operations of the program to supervisor.
- Communicate supply and logistical needs to supervisor and ensure adherence to all relevant IRC policies.
- Ensure adherence to the IRC Finance and Logistics Policy.
- Organize, write and submit weekly and monthly plans, updates, and reports to manager.
- Foster a sense of team spirit among program staff that is conducive to all staff improving their Knowledge and skills base.
- Ensure protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse by immediately reporting as per IRC Way
- Any other task designated by the Program manager to ensure proper functioning of the project.