FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO's Subregional Office for SEC is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Subregional Office is a subsidiary of FAO's Regional Office for SEC. The Meeting Programming and Documentation Service (SEC)
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative and/or Sub-regional Coordinator for Central Asia (FAOSEC), the subscriber works in close collaboration with respective Technical Officers, and FAO-SEC support services (Operations Unit and/or Administration Department) as required.
Interpret and translate from/into non-FAO Languages a variety of project-related documents and workshops.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide written translations of project proposals and a wide variety of texts dealing with agriculture and related subjects, as well as administrative, financial and legal matters, from Russian to Turkish and vice versa, preferably also from/to English, as required;
- Provide high quality translations within deadlines set, ensuring the adequate use of relevant terminology, in the areas of FAO’s mandate namely: agricultural production, land and water (irrigation), plant production and protection, rural development, food security, food safety, rural development, agricultural investment, forestry, fishery, livestock production, and animal health;
- As a self-revising translator, the incumbent must produce concise and accurate translations in an appropriate style, which will not be subject to further review;
- Provide consecutive and/or simultaneous interpretation services during project workshops from Russian to Turkish and from Turkish to Russian, preferably also from/to English, as required ;
- Perform other related duties as required.
The languages of the Organization are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Linguistic Studies or Translation and/or diploma from an internationally recognized interpreter/translator school specialising in one of the following official languages of the United Nations: English or Russian
- Three years of relevant experience in simultaneous and consecutive interpretation and translation
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills
- Skills and experience in consecutive and simultaneous interpretation from/into Russian - and the official language of the country - Turkish; and preferably from/into English also;
- Fluency in spoken and written Russian and the official language of the country - Turkish; and preferably English also;
- Advanced computer skills and word processing (MS Office and other office equipment); advanced user of translation/interpretation software and equipment.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting translation services of international organizations.
- Familiarity with the FAO documentation, terminology and the reference work.
- Familiarity with terminology research work.
- Advance computer skills and word processing (MS Office and other office equipment).
- Be able to produce results with rigid deadlines
- Professional experience in providing translation services to international organization (written, oral)
- Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.