Electrical Engineer - Consultant
JOB TITLE: Electrical Engineer
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Consultant
UNIT/DIVISION: Management Services Division - Engineering (MSDE)
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Rome with frequent travels to WFP field locations
DURATION: 6-months (with possible extensions)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The Electrical Engineer will work with MSDE and will provide expertise in his/her discipline. He/she will be mainly required to work on the projects that contain elements of Electrical systems including Electrical safety reviews/upgrades and, Building systems reviews. The candidate will provide technical, financial and administrative support to new or existing projects and emergency operations. The position will be based in Rome but with frequent travel to duty stations to undertake assessments of works or proposed works, oversee installation or undertake monitoring missions in the support of country offices and engineering teams.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of MSDE, or delegated person, duties required of the Electrical Engineer shall include but are not be limited to the following:
- Undertake electrical pre-surveys, surveys and audits on various facilities within the organization, which includes gathering and filling data, providing support to the respondents, identification, recommendation and configuration of the types of equipment to be compliant with all the applicable electrical safety standards and regulations.
- Ensure the normal operation of WFP energy monitoring systems installed in field offices, including troubleshooting and/or replacement where necessary.
- Conduct remote or onsite assessments of the electrical distribution system in WFP premises, and assist in the preparation of scope-of-work documents and draft contract documents for the implementation of the works.
- Carry out and oversee electrical works in field locations, including renovation of electrical distribution systems and installation/commissioning of power sources.
- Attend meetings and prepare and review reports, minutes and correspondence.
- Undertake administrative tasks as required, and provide project management services for the projects where and when requested.
- Establishment and maintenance of project performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting procedures, up to project completion. A further period of monitoring and support to the operation and maintenance team is foreseen, with modalities depending on the installation.
- Participate in design reviews or meetings or workshops (reading, interpreting and critique/comment on technical drawings, proposals, specifications, schematics, etc) and giving advice and recommendation.
- Undertake missions in the field, when required, to complete project-specific assigned tasks or undertake surveys and detailed analysis.
- Assist in developing guidance and standards for upgrading existing WFP premises and new builds to be as energy-efficient as practicable.
- Train users on the proper use of the WFP power supply systems.
- Undertake and complete electrical designs from simple to more complex drawings and layouts in CAD software.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned, from time to time.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
Deliverables will be set by the Post supervisor at the start of the contract period and monitored throughout.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- University degree in Electrical Engineering is preferred; other Engineering degrees such as Mechanical or Civil can be accepted but the experience of at least 5 years in the design of industrial/tertiary electrical systems shall be proven
- A Master degree in a relevant discipline is an advantage.
- At least 5 years relevant electrical experience at increasing levels of responsibilities
- Experience of working within the Humanitarian Community including remote field locations.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Industry certification such as Certified Energy Manager, or membership of a relevant professional body such as the Energy Institute is desirable.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent knowledge and/or experience in engineering electrical design and specification
- Good knowledge and experience in energy topics (waste, water, electricity, renewable sources, green technologies, energy efficiency, etc.)
- Fluent in English (written, spoken, and oral comprehension
- Desirable - An ability to work and communicate effectively in Spanish, French or Arabic is highly desirable, with particular emphasis on technical vocabulary.
Closing date: 20 June 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.