Environmental and Social Safeguards and Sustainability Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Office of Climate Change, Biodiversity and Environment promotes integration of innovative approaches in the activities of the Organization, for the sustainable use, management and conservation of natural resources for food and agriculture. OCB assists member countries in their responses towards the challenge of climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as the development of adaptive capacities of agriculture, fisheries and forestry for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and other natural resources. It provides a coordination role on climate change, biodiversity and the environment. The Office also serves as the focal point for a multidisciplinary and global approach to UNFCCC, CBD and topics on bioenergy as well as undertaking work and providing support and guidance on assessment, management and tenure issues.
The Consultants will work under the overall technical supervision of the Environment workstream Lead at OCB/Head of the Environment and Social Management Unit and reports directly to a relevant Environmental and Social Safeguards Unit Officer or Programme Officer and/or FAO decentralized Office, as appropriate. When activities are carried out in countries, the consultant will be required to work in close collaboration with the FAO Representation in the relevant country of assignment, as well as the relevant FAO regional office.
Support the implementation of FAO’s Environmental and Social Safeguards policies and procedures and stakeholder engagement requirements in FAO field projects.
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will support the implementation of the FAO environmental and social safeguards policy and procedures, as well as stakeholder engagement, disclosure and grievance handling in projects and programmes, including:
- Provide technical support to project implementation teams to ensure compliance with FAO's environmental and social safeguards policies and procedures;
- Review ESIA, Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMP), Environmental and Social Management Frameworks (ESMF) and Stakeholder Engagement Plans (SEPs), among others;
- Participate in project preparation and supervision missions, as needed, and provides relevant inputs on environment and social safeguards, including preparation of terms of reference for environment and social impact assessments and necessary environment and social safeguard planning documents;
- Undertake reviews on progress/monitoring reports on environment and social safeguards for ongoing projects;
- Support the capacity building activities of the ESM Unit, in particular the development and delivery of webinar sessions;
- Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports; create spreadsheets and presentations; manage and update databases for mailing lists and other information; and maintain electronic and paper files;
- Plan and organize meetings, international workshops, internal and external seminars; act as focal point as needed;
- Support the update of the OCB intranet portal and guarantee linkages with the environmental and social risk management intranet;
- Provide operational support at divisional level in data management tasks, organization of meetings, workshops, webinars, and other requests that may arise;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in environmental management, natural resource management, social sciences, agriculture or a related field;
- One to four years (for CAT C) of relevant experience and at least five years relevant experience (for CAT B) of relevant experience in natural resources management, environmental and social safeguards implementation or related fields;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish, and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian ( for consultants); working Knowledge of English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic or Chinese (for PSA)
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in one or several FAO environmental and social safeguards identification and management in development projects;
- Extent and relevance of experience in ESIA, stakeholder engagement, grievance handling and disclosure in FAO and/or in other development organizations, is considered an asset;
- Familiarity with the environmental and social safeguard requirements of the GEF, GCF, World Bank and other major funding organizations, is considered an asset;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the formulation and review of environmental and social management frameworks, impact assessments, management plans and reporting frameworks;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation of training materials and delivery of training.
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency