Export Promotion Project Officer - Support to confidence building across the Nistru river through advanced cross-river capacities for trade/ AdTrade Project - UNDP Moldova
The overall objective and expected outcome of this project is to secure that men and women on both banks of the Nistru River have better livelihoods and living conditions, due to an improved cross-river cooperation to access the opportunities offered by Moldova’s external trade arrangements, contributing to an environment of trust and cooperation across the post-conflict divide.
Specific objectives (outputs):
Output 1. Improved cross-river exchange of information, knowledge, experience and understanding of the opportunities provided by DCFTA to companies from the Transnistria region
Output 2. Increased export activity of the business community from the Transnistria region as a result of better export promotion capacities and access to cross-river export support opportunities
Output 3. Micro, small and medium-sized enterprises across the Nistru river, in particular those led by women and benefitting vulnerable groups, are enabled to produce more competitive products
The project plans to draw on the experience achieved by the business community from the right bank in making use of the DCFTA instruments and transfer it to the left bank, connecting these business communities. As a result of the improved capacity and competitiveness, MSMEs from both banks of Nistru river are expected to intensify their export activity and penetrate new markets or expand on the existing ones. As the small business sector, being the backbone of every sound economy, is underrepresented in the Transnistrian region, the project will seek to expand the MSME sector in the region by supporting a number of start-ups and young companies with a particular focus on benefitting women and vulnerable groups.
The project is funded by the Swedish Government and co-funded by the United Kingdom Government.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Officer contributes to the effective and efficient implementation of the export promotion and business development activities, through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The incumbent applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Officer works in close collaboration with the Project Team, and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
The Project Officer will be part of the Project Management Team (PMT) and will, under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, be responsible for managing the successful implementation of the project activities. The Project Officer will interact closely with short-term experts.
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients. More specifically, he/she will:
- Ensure practical coordination of assigned areas of project activities in order to meet expected results. Contribute to the annual activity and procurement work plans as well as budgets based on expected year end outputs. Ensure close monitoring of activities and disbursements;
- Design, plan and monitor project activities, under the supervision of the Project Manager. Ensure the high quality of the concept papers, terms of references, proposal outlines and agreements in close cooperation with service providers and/or grant recipients;
- Establish monitoring and evaluation systems. Establish a system of progress review with each of the implementing partners;
- Ensure timely submission of financial and activity reports by implementing partners, and ensure harmonized reporting by recipients on key performance indicators;
- Advise service providers and/or grant recipients on strategies to facilitate results-based implementation of project activities, and ensure constant feedback on quality of their implementation, suggesting corrective measures as necessary;
- Support the selection, capacity assessment, contracting, monitoring, evaluation and audit of recipients, ensuring compliance with UNDP regulations;
- Contribute to the preparation of qualitative work plans and financial progress reports as may be required by the Project Manager. Provide close support for the preparation of procurement/contracting and financial delivery reports for UNDP management. Timely submit the above mentioned deliverables;
- Provide regular reports to the Project manager and flag any deviations from the work plans immediately;
- Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels;
- Maintain close coordination with assigned project partners, helping at ensuring synergies and avoiding overlaps in project implementation;
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide. Keep abreast of UNDP programming practices and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values.
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities.
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives.
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines.
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff.
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting.
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document.
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities.
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in economics, business administration, management, or other related fields relevant to the position.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience at the national level of managing projects/initiatives in the field of business development and/or trade.
- At least two years of experience in export promotion is required.
- Experience in the public or private sector, development assistance and/or international organizations is a strong asset.
- Experience of work in/with the Transnistria region and a good understanding of related issues is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Fluency in oral and written Romanian, Russian, and English is a must.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
UNDP is an employer committed to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both male and female.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names, and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
Please note that the person selected for this position will be offered a contract with UNDP under its National Personnel Services Agreement (N-PSA) modality. The UNDP Service Contract modality is phasing out over the coming year. More information about the N-PSA is available here https://bit.ly/341OFXC