Ref. Number: 21056
Department: Operational Services Department
Job Type: Global Recruitment
Posting Date: May 28, 2021
Closing Date: June 30, 2021
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 103 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Environment Associate will be responsible for integrating environmental dimensions into the work of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves activities to:
- address the environmental dimensions of policies, programs, projects, technical assistance and training; and
- appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB’s Environmental and Social Framework.
- Support the formulation and implementation of the environmental aspects of AIIB’s strategies, policies, programs and projects, including strategic planning and sector studies;
- Participate in the identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects to evaluate environmental feasibility and conduct environmental assessments;
- Appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Framework; this will include field-based reviews;
- Support the preparation of Environmental Impact Assessments and Environmental Management Plans across priority sectors such as water, urban, energy and transport;
- Help develop, recommend and monitor courses of action based on reviews to resolve issues concerning client compliance with AIIB's environmental requirements;
- Conduct reviews of country and corporate environmental safeguard systems to determine their potential for selective partial or full use in AIIB-financed projects;
- Develop and conduct training on environmental safeguard systems for AIIB staff and clients; and
- Contribute to AIIB’s knowledge base on environmental and social aspects, particularly related to climate change, biodiversity and ecosystem services, and emerging ESG frameworks.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience in environmental planning and management either working for, or as a government counterpart or consultant to, a multilateral development bank (MDB), bilateral donor or a private sector organization.
- Proven professional expertise in the planning and management of the environmental aspects of infrastructure programs and projects, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) and Environmental Management Plans (EMPs).
- Experience with the planning, preparation and implementation of project-level environmental assessment and related types of studies, including environmental management plans and frameworks.
- Effective ability to participate in project development and supervision, including project design, feasibility studies, consultations and management. Demonstrated experience in monitoring the environmental and social aspects of projects under implementation.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with public and private sector clients, and development partners (MDBs and bilateral development organizations) in an effective, timely and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
- Experience serving as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience working with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental science, engineering, planning or related fields.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.