Team-lead Local Project Development Specialist (LPDS) for Introducing alternative to the imprisonment in the Republika Srpska Entity
home based - banja luka
NOTE: Signed Offeror’s Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and availability - https://www.ba.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/docs/Operations/Jobs/Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx - Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability.docx - to be sent to e-mail email@example.com with Subject: Job ID 99436.
An integral part of the Home Arrest Concept Initiation Plan shall be the development of a comprehensive needs assessment and a roadmap for introduction of the prisoners’ electronic monitoring system in Republika Srpska (RS), as well as to develop Feasibility Study and a full Project Document (ProDoc) RS entitled “Introducing alternative to the imprisonment in the Republika Srpska Entity”, with all mandatory and project specific Annexes and supporting documentation for submission to UNDP for final approval and endorsement.
The Project shall conduct a comprehensive needs assessment, including required legislative changes, current practices from other countries, ethical and professional standards, structural and operational policies, and procedures necessary to implement such provisions. The needs assessment will also outline the required human and financial resources and capacities of the staff and institutions, as well as recommended suitable IT solutions and equipment required.
The Project will provide a special focus to developing Ethical and Professional standards to guide the national authorities, including judges, prosecutors, prison administrations, probation agencies, police and agencies providing equipment or supervising suspects and offenders.
UNDP BiH aims to provide targeted assistance to the RS Government by providing a high-level expert team of consultants capable to carry out the highest quality of research and technical support in the process of development of a comprehensive, integrated project proposal that will set the implementation roadmap for introduction of the Electronic Monitoring System – Home Arrest in the Republika Srpska entity. Additionally, the consultancy shall include recommendations regarding the Home Arrest System functionalities in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH) introduced in 2015 to bring them to the EU standards and to further efforts of BiH to harmonize legislation within BiH, while aligning all activities with the European standards and the Council of Europe recommendations on electronic monitoring of prisoners.
The Local Project Development Specialist (LPDS) will act as a Team Leader responsible for quality assurance and timely preparation of all reports and documentation, including the Feasibility Study and finalized UNDP Project Document (ProDoc) with all mandatory and project specific Annexes and supporting documentation. The LPDS will closely coordinate and oversee the work of the National Experts – Consultants to ensure uniformity of all activities as well as to ensure quality and relevance of produced needs assessment and impact reports.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a part of the team of consultants, the Local Project Development Specialist is expected to oversee the work of the team by providing methodological guidance, data analysis, facilitate online and in-person meetings with national partners and ensure timely preparation and quality assurance of all reports and documents prepared within the project. Finally, LPDS shall prepare final UNDP Project Document (UNDP ProDoc) with all mandatory and project specific Annexes and supporting documentation in line with the existing lagal and institutional framework of BiH as well as with the UNDP methodological framework.
The Home Arrest Initiation Plan prepared by UNDP shall be provided to the team of consultants as a guideline regarding the responsibilities of the Expert team and must be consulted accordingly. The Local Project Development Specialist shall perform the following tasks:
TASK 1: Prepare Needs Assessment Report incorporating inputs prepared by two national consultants.
- In line with approved methodological approach, the LPDS will serve as the focal point and team leader for the team consisting of the two consultants that will be engaged to conduct needs assessment of the criminal sanctions system in RS as well as in the Federation of BiH and at the state level. This assessment shall consider operational and legal perspective, each conducted by the national consultants respectively. Expected outcome of the needs assessment is in-depth analysis of the legal, institutional and regulatory frameworks and identified areas where changes and amendments are needed. Preparation of this deliverable shall entail the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide direct guidance to the team, aiming to ensure efficient and effective planning and development process and the highest possible quality of deliverable.
- Oversee the work and preparation of the report by the national consultant analyzing the needs assessments legal perspective of the existing legal framework for the electronic monitoring system in the Federation of BiH as well as the existing legal framework in the Republika Srpska;
- Oversee the needs assessments operational perspective and technical inputs into the overall feasibility study for Introducing alternative to the imprisonment in the Republika Srpska;
- Compile baseline/situational analysis for the project, this will include a precise definition of baseline projects, activities, budgets, goals and links to UNDP outcomes;
- Ensure the gender findings are meaningfully integrated into the project’s strategy, theory of change and results framework;
- Ensure action points, including risk assessments, from the UNDP Social and Environmental Screening Procedure (SESP) at the PIF stage (“pre-screening”);
- Oversee the identification of the project sites, with documentation of selection criteria, as applicable;
- With support from the UNDP CO Communication Specialist, ensure the design of a Communication Strategy for the project;
- Oversee the consultations with partners regarding financial planning;
- Ensure completion of Feasibility Study and any additional reports that are determined to be needed for the preparation of the UNDP ProDoc and all other final outputs.
- Ensure improving parts of the document as needed, and provide overall quality assurance, based on inputs by the consultants.
It is envisaged that this task will be delivered in the period 1 July – 15 August 2021 and the level of effort will not exceed 20 expert days.
TASK 2:?Formulation of the?ProDoc and Project Specific Annexes:?With inputs from the national consultants, as detailed in their respective TORs, and based on best practice?
- Develop, present and articulate the project’s theory of?change;?
- Develop the Results Framework in line with UNDP policy;?
- Develop a detailed Monitoring and Evaluation Plan and?Budget;??
- Oversee the preparation of a comprehensive Stakeholder Engagement?Plan;?
- Oversee the preparation of a Gender Action Plan and?Budget;?
- Oversee the updating of the SESP based on assessments from the national expert input, and ensure the development of required environmental and/or social management plan(s) for all risks identified as Moderate or High in the SESP, as required;??
- Present agreements on project execution and management arrangements and ensure that the project aligns to UNDP guidance;??
- Ensure the completion of the required official endorsement letters; and?
- Synthesize of two needs assessments to produce the draft UNDP ProDoc, and all mandatory and project specific Annexes, using the templates.?
- Takes part in verification mission in Bosnia and Herzegovina.?
- Closely work with other consultants, to ensure that all relevant data is collected, obtain feedback, and validate findings before moving on to the next stage of the process.
Task 2 is expected to be completed in the period 15 August – 15 September 2021 and with estimated level of effort of 30 expert days.
TASK 3:?Final Deliverables?
Within this task the Team-lead Consultant is expected to ensure a high-quality process and technical support to key actors in Republika Srpska in the programming stage of the planning process. The task also entails co-drafting, improving and, if and when required, re-drafting of the relevant segments of programming part of UNDP?ProDoc, based on inputs and validation by the other engaged consultants, UNDP BiH and relevant stakeholders.
Concretely, the support will include:
- Consolidation of all technical and consultation inputs and comments including from national stakeholders and UNDP, into a well written and concise UNDP?ProDoc?with all required sections and Annexes, in line with the standard UNDP?ProDoc?template and annotated?guidance;?
- Completion of the stakeholders and UNDP Endorsement?Request;??
- Finalized SESP (and stand-alone management plans as required);??
- Ensure validation workshop and Roadmap presentation.
It is envisaged that Task 3 will be delivered in the period 15 September to 15 October 2021 and the level of effort will not exceed 15 expert days.
TASK 4: Comments from internal and external reviews reflected in final submission package
Within this task, the LPDS shall collect comments, suggestions and questions from all stakeholders ensuring that those are duly reflected in the final submission package. Also, within this task, the LPDS shall complete final review and finalization of all deliverables.
It is envisaged that Task 4 will be delivered in the period 15 October - 30 October 2021 and the level of effort will not exceed 5 expert days.
It is important to note that the entire process of strategic planning will be supported by a team of the relevant consultants. The team will have two consultants, and the Team-lead Consultant who will serve as the main focal point and team leader.
UNDP BiH, in close consultation with Office of the President of the Entity Republika Srpska, the RS Ministry of Justice and Judicial (Court) Police, will be responsible for the overall coordination and quality assurance of the process and products from the viewpoint of the content.
The LPDS will also be responsible for compiling the inputs and ensuring overall coherence and quality of the UNDP?ProDoc. Under the direct guidance of Team-lead Consultant, other consultants engaged for specific Pillars will be required to closely work together, agree on practical modalities of work, division of responsibilities as well as coordination and communication channels.
All management and methodological issues will be closely coordinated and monitored by the UNDP BiH and, in close consultation with Office of the President of the Entity Republika Srpska, the RS Ministry of Justice and Judicial (Court) Police.
Deliverables / Outputs
# of Days per Task
Draft baseline/situational analysis, draft Strategic Framework and draft project strategy presented for stakeholder consultations
15 August 2021
Draft Project Document presented for UNDP CO review
15 September 2021
Final Project Document (with all respective annexes) ready for UNDP internal review and clearance
15 October 2021
Comments from internal and external reviews reflected in final submission package
30 October 2021
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University degree in relevant field, such as law, economic, public administration or another closely related filed.
- Bachelor degree in relevant field, such as law, economy, public administration or another closely related field with additional two year of experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum seven years of demonstrable experience in the areas of projects development, structural reforms and capacity building and judiciary systems reforms and development.
- Experience in delivery of technical assistance to government beneficiaries, preferably in the area of strategic planning and preparing high quality project documents, particularly for UNDP projects;
- Proven track record in the role of key expert in three previous similar projects focused on project management;
- Proven communication and advocacy skills, and ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors including government representatives and other stakeholders;
- Ability to work as a team player in a complex working environment.
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skill in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian and English languages.
- Demonstrated understanding of UNDP rationale and procedures, and demonstrated experience in formulation of UNDP project proposals, using the logical framework and the results-based management approaches;
Qualifications as stated in the ToR
max 20 points10 points allocated for BA/BSc degree+ 10 points for MSc/MA
Relevant professional experience
max 60 points
Knowledge of English
max 10 points – based on submitted methodology, will be assessed as:10 points for fluency and the points decrease as per the level mentioned in the CV:good - 9 points;fair/upper intermediate – 8 points;intermediate - 7 points;beginner - 6 point.
Technical Evaluation Criteria
Rating based on Qualifications
Rating based on submitted Methodology
Experience in delivery of technical assistance to government beneficiaries, preferably in the area of strategic planning and preparing high quality project documents, particularly for UNDP projects;
Proven track record in the role of key expert in three previous similar projects focused on project management
Proven communication and advocacy skills, and ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors including government representatives and other stakeholders
Individual will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the candidate whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Interested candidated must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work. The methodology should present the Consultants approach, proposed detailed methods and scope and explain the data collection tool/s to be used.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.