Community Justice Mentor
IDLO IN MYANMAR
IDLO has been working in Myanmar since 2013 to support the country’s justice institutions, lawyers, civil society representatives and communities to strengthen rule of law and access to justice, enhance gender equality and promote peace and development in line with Sustainable Development Goal 16, as part of the complex democratic transition and political changes underway in the country.
In May 2021, IDLO launched a one-year project in Kachin State to address the limited opportunities for increasing women’s participation in Customary and Traditional Justice (CTJ) mechanisms as well as the lack of capacity on the part of both male and female leaders to engage in gender-sensitive Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). The project, Supporting Women’s Participation in Customary and Traditional Justice Mechanisms in Kachin State, will support placements for women within CTJ mechanisms and will deliver capacity building, coaching and mentoring activities with the aim of increasing women’s active participation in community-based dispute resolution mechanisms.
The Community Justice Mentor, together with the National Project Coordinator, will directly implement this project with guidance and support from other IDLO staff. The Community Justice Mentor will be responsible for the following:
1. Support design and implementation of mentoring and coaching activities for customary and traditional justice actors and women leaders
· Work closely with the Capacity Development Team to develop and implement a mentoring and coaching program for customary and traditional justice (CTJ) actors and women leaders designed to provide tailored support to them as they work towards strengthening women’s participation in CTJ mechanisms;
· Support the strengthening of internal capacity around the delivery of mentoring and coaching programs; and
· Provide mentoring and coaching supports to CTJ actors and women leaders, making sure they are high quality and effective.
2. Support the development and implementation of high-quality peer learning events for women leaders
· Work closely with the Capacity Development Team in Yangon in the development and implementation of peer learning events for women leaders;
· Document the events to extract key lessons learned and then incorporate those learnings into any course corrections.
3. Support day-to-day program implementation, including: work planning, budgeting, monitoring, and reporting :
· Support the Project Coordinator with the coordination of work and information between IDLO colleagues and departments;
· Provide inputs into the development of work plans and activities;
· Draft, collate and provide input for internal and external reports;
· Support the monitoring and evaluation of project activities, ensuring that lessons learned inform the design of follow-on activities
· Support the project coordinator in conducting research on legal, political, social, and economic events, trends, and/or developments relating to the program; respond to internal and external requests for such research.
Ideal Candidate Profile
Education and work experience
· Graduate degree in law, international relations, political science or another relevant field from a recognized university;
· Minimum of five (3) years of substantial project management experience, ideally within an international organization;
· Professional experience in working projects focused on strengthening access to justice for women and/or women’s inclusion on governance processes;
· Previous experience in data collection;
· Fluent oral and written skills in English; and
· Experience working in Kachin State and knowledge of one or more relevant ethnic languages is desirable.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
· Demonstrated expertise on gender, diversity and inclusion;
· Demonstrated awareness of the political, economic and social operating environment and sensitivities of the area of work;
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
· Familiarity with standard program and data management methodologies, tools, and processes as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles;
· Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT software and internet software;
· Proven ability to work with external partners and donors;
· Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
· Ability and willingness to travel within the country, if necessary; and
· Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an affiliate contract initially for 1 years, with possibility of extension, subject to performance and availability of funding.
This vacancy is open to Myanmar nationals only.
The selected candidate is expected to start as soon as possible.
how to apply
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply via ImpactPool.org at the following link https://www.impactpool.org/jobs/703334
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline is 14 June 2021, 23.59 hrs Yangon time.
In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.