Job title: Driver
Reporting to: Team Leader – Shelter and Infrastructure
Overall purpose of the role:
To drive DRC vehicles safely and efficiently in accordance with DRC policy and national safety rules and regulations, responsible for the vehicle to which he is assigned and the completion of log books and fuel, records, under the supervision of the Supply Chain Assistant – Logistics.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive safely DRC staff and visitors, also beyond normal working hours if necessary
- Drive defensively- do not drive in an aggressive way and respect the legal and DRC speed limits. Adjust the vehicle speed to road conditions and drive with consideration for the safety of the passengers, other road users, the load and the technical state of the car
- Responsible for complying with DRC security rules
- Ensure correct loading and unloading of vehicle according to proper load capacity and distribution
- Ensure security of the vehicle and keys, also when parked, making sure windows and doors are locked.
- Keep informed of security on the expected itinerary and decide whether or not to take a road in collaboration with the team leader
- Always inform Office team of departure, intended destination and remain in contact throughout the journey, upon arrival at destination, and return
- Not releasing to third parties’ internal information on expatriate movement
- Ensuring that non-DRC staffs are NOT allowed in the vehicles unless it is approved by the Area Program Manager/Head of Office
Vehicle management/ Safety
- Ensure that all the safety equipment (a safety belt for each seat, one binder with emergency contact and discharge of responsibility forms, first aid box, spare wheel and fire extinguisher) is in place and working as described.
- Ensure that driving does not take place unless EVERY person in the car is using his/her safety belt.
- Keep the vehicles clean, re-fuelled, and ensure proper maintenance, regular servicing and repairing of vehicle according to the correct procedures.
- Basic mechanic and servicing works (vehicle and generator) as possible and required
- This includes ensuring proper working of the vehicle before any driving, and reporting any irregularities or accident immediately to the Supervisor.
- Keep records for mileage driven/fuel added and maintain the vehicle log book
- Check road licence and other certificates in the vehicle and notify the supervisor in time for renewal of documents if due to expire
- Keep their driving licence valid at all times.
- Any other duties assigned
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Should have 3-5 years’ experience of professional driving.
- Should have a valid Driving permit (to be presented during interviews if one is shortlisted.)
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company
- Ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position.
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- Senior Secondary School Certificate.
- A full and clean driving license
- A certificate in Defensive driving from an established driving school/firm is an added advantage.
- Hold a certificate in automobile mechanics is an added advantage
- Fluent English
- Knowledge of local languages in the district of assignment is a must
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications close on 11th June, 2021.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels in light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunity: DRC is an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethinic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.