Senior Pharmaceutical System Strengthening Advisor
Arlington (United States of America)
The Senior Pharmaceutical System Strengthening Advisor will assist the MTaPS Technical Director in the management of planning, coordination, and implementation of the program’s technical activities. The S/he will support the program’s technical teams to ensure effective allocation, prompt response, and coverage of technical support to target countries and health areas in working with the members of the program senior management team. S/he will coordinate the production of deliverables/knowledge outputs through the technical teams, in accordance with country specific, regional, and global program workstreams. S/he will ensure that delivery of technical team outputs align with the donor and country needs and are produced in accordance with program and donor established timelines and MSH/MTaPS quality standards. S/he is responsible for providing hands-on management of the Technical Strategy Leads and assigned Technical Points of Contact. S/he will coordinate technical support assignments to enable efficient, high quality technical assistance (TA) to ensure organizational standards of technical excellence. S/he is responsible for maintaining a database of resources to ensure their efficient utilization for quality and timely technical outputs. The Senior Pharmaceutical System Strengthening Advisor will support (about 10-15% FTE) the MSH Pharmaceutical and Health Technology Systems Practice Area.
- Establish mechanisms for managing the allocation of technical resources for, and implementation of technical activities in MTaPS-supported countries worldwide and core portfolios
Liaise with regional Technical Strategy Leads (TSLs), Portfolio Managers and country teams, as well as the Core funding portfolios such as GHSA, Cross Bureau, CSL, COVID, Ebola, MNCH, to:
Coordinate the development of work plans
Assure technical quality of work plans
Organize distribution of technical support through long and short-term assignments.
Manage appropriate allocation of technical resources to adequately meet the needs at the central and Mission specific portfolios
Manage program technical teams’ adherence to country specific requirements as well as those of USAID
Lead the coordination, including negotiation and deployment, of TA to the regional and country offices, working with TSLs and Country Program Directors
Ensure the delivery of high-quality TA across all programmatic technical areas
Support the Technical Director to supervise technical team leads to safeguard the success and efficiency of technical interventions
Collaborate with the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning to ensure development and dissemination of learning and knowledge products
Assist the Technical Director in overall management functions
Serve as resource for technical information on pharmaceutical and health technologies practice area topics to other experts, offices, and projects within MSH
Support the documentation of MSH’s portfolio of pharmaceutical and health technologies practice area activities, update it regularly with new experiences and disseminate results
Participate in new business development efforts and act as a technical strategy lead, technical contributor or reviewer of proposals as required
Work in close coordination with the pharmaceutical and health technologies practice area Lead and MSH’s Business Development (BD) Unit to review bid opportunities, determining the opportunities that MSH should pursue in the practice area.
Support the pre-positioning for practice area bids as needed.
Work in coordination with BD Unit to track funding opportunities.
Participate in pitching ideas to donors and funders on practice area topics as needed
Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree or higher in management, public administration, social science, or health fields. Pharmacy or Medicine preferred
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience as a Senior Technical Expert involving pharmaceutical management, pharmaceutical system strengthening, supply chain assessment and strengthening, and health technology systems strengthening in LMICs
- Demonstrated senior level experience managing a large group of technical experts to ensure high quality technical delivery
- A minimum of eight years of experience with USAID programs, standard operating procedures, policies, and regulations
- Experience providing direct operational management of technical teams across multiple technical areas
- Experience in human resources management preferred.
- Exposure to and working knowledge of pharmaceutical systems strengthening
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills in English.
- Working knowledge of another language especially French strongly preferred
Some international travel may be required