Health Information Systems (HIS) Specialist
Arlington (United States of America)
The Health Information Systems Specialist will support strategic information (SI) services at MSH in M&E, Digital Health and Knowledge Management practice areas. This is an opportunity to contribute to the evidence base of international public health by helping project teams from a global public health organization gain insight into their data to enhance health impact. The incumbent will also have opportunities to learn and apply new data science techniques to a wide range of health-related data sets and to provide technical assistance to special SI initiatives implemented by our field projects
DREAM@MSH (MSH-DHIS2) (50%)
- Design and develop new DHIS2 use-cases and customized features for projects (e.g. dashboards, custom forms, apps, etc.).
- Support system interoperability by mapping integration routes with other DHIS2 instances and external systems.
- Support the maintenance and configuration of MSH’s Essential Thematic Indicators.
- Support MSH field projects with configuration and maintenance of project monitoring indicators in DREAM@MSH and specific DHIS2 instances that MSH projects create with our external clients.
Technical Support for specific MSH projects (10%)
- Provide technical support to projects for survey design, testing and statistical analysis (including techniques such as machine learning and artificial intelligence).
- Provide technical support in data visualization using a variety of data viz tools (e.g. PowerBI, Google Data Studio, QGIS, etc…)
- Provide technical assistance to field projects implementing digital health solutions that support a wide range of interventions. In addition to traditional HIS, this may include use cases such as automation of universal health care (e.g. health insurance), electronic medical records, community health worker service delivery, and advanced data analytics (machine learning/AI).
- Serve as SI liaison for one or more MSH projects to identify project support needs, coordinate SI technical inputs and ensure consistently high quality of work in this domain.
Data Literacy / Capacity Building (10%)
- Support the design and implementation of training in DHIS2 and broader data science skills for MSH staff including home and field offices.
- Build upon and update current DHIS2 learning materials produced for staff.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of eLearning courses on topics related to DHIS2 and digital literacy.
- Work with the DDH and Knowledge Management teams to synthesize best practices and learnings from MSH project implementation of digital solutions and share them across projects through the technical exchange networks (TEN), knowledge exchange fora and Ollie (MSH Intranet).
M & E Routine Support (20%)
- Support Strategic Information advisors and field project staff in routine monitoring and evaluation activities (i.e. reporting, AMELP finalizations, PIRS development, data visualization, analytics, etc)
Support to business development and partnership initiatives (10%)
- Collaborate with business development and project planning teams to design innovative digital health and strategic information strategies and interventions
- Participate in global strategic information-related networks to track and share new digital technologies and identify potential partners that can bring such innovations to our projects.
Required: MA or MPH in a relevant field such as biostatistics, health statistics, public health, or information systems
3-6 years of demonstrated experience with current approaches and tools in information management systems, including the use of data to inform decision-making, data analysis, and other strategic information initiatives.
Directly relevant experience with a focus on monitoring and evaluating of international development programs, and in the use of measurement methods required for monitoring and evaluation of public health programs.
Expertice in coding/programming of statistical software packages such as R, SAS, SPSS, or Stata for data analysis and modelling.
Experience designing and implementing facility- and population-based surveys.
Experience facilitating in-person or on-line training in data analysis and use.
Experience with health project level M&E, data analytics, knowledge management, and working as part of an integrated
Experience living or working in developing countries is highly desirable to understand program context, field realities and technical needs.
Ability to converse in one of MSH primary working languages in addition to English (e.g. French, Spanish, Portuguese).
Knowledge and Skills
Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation principles and methods.
Knowledge of key dimensions of data science including use of real-world data, data mining, artificial intelligence, and machine learning.
Strong English-language writing and presentation skills.
Strong scientific and technical writing skills.
Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, clients, and consultants.
Intermediate to advanced expertise in Excel
Highly organized, detail –oriented, meticulous and
consistent in the execution of their work.Demonstrated organization and time management skills.
Preferred**:** expertise in DHIS2 configuration and data analysis.**:** expertise in DHIS2 configuration and data analysis.
Demonstrated competence in assessing priorities and managing a variety of activities and stakeholders from various socio-cultural contexts in a time-sensitive environment.
Ability to work independently to complete complex problems using innovative, evidence-based solutions.
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects at a time.
Demonstrated flexibility and openness in responding to
changing work priorities and environment and working
under tight deadlines
Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.