Temporary Program Officer (CSI) TOS 6, Level 1
Every year, millions of people around the world go missing as a result of conflict, human rights abuses, disasters, organized crime, irregular migration, and other causes. This is a complex global challenge that can be tackled effectively through cross-cutting programs that address a variety of difficult, interconnected issues.
The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) is the only international organization tasked exclusively to work on the issue of missing persons. It works with governments and other stakeholders, including families of the missing, to help them develop and maintain successful missing persons processes. To learn more about ICMP click here.
ICMP is implementing a multi-year project in Iraq to support authorities in their efforts to account for persons missing as a result of armed conflict and violations of human rights.
ICMP plans to conduct outreach campaigns in Europe to promote awareness of the missing persons process in Syria and Iraq, to build the capacity of Syria and Iraqi families to engage in the missing persons process and to collect data to facilitate locating missing persons. This effort will involve conducting outreach particularly to Iraqi Yazidi families of the missing in Europe and supporting ICMP and Iraqi national authorities prepare the families for reference sample collection campaigns.
The candidate is expected to be based in Germany or The Netherlands, with the corresponding ability to work in said countries. ICMP is unable to sponsor work permits at this time.
Under the supervision of the Head of CSI, Erbil the Temporary CSI Program Officer(s) main duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- In close coordination with the Head of CSI (Erbil), organize the establishment and maintenance of partnerships with representatives of family associations, CSOs and other local civil society organizations involved in missing persons’ issues of Yazidis in Germany;
- Support mapping and outreach to Yazidi families of the missing in Germany;
- Provide support to the Data Coordination Division to prepare reference collection campaigns;
- Organize, support and monitor data and reference collection campaigns in one or more EU countries;
- Prepare relevant internal and external reports on data and reference collection campaigns;
- Provide support to the team to ensure proper transfer of collected reference samples to the processing laboratory in accordance with ICMP policies;
- Provides oral and written translation among the languages of English, Arabic and Kurmanji, if required; and
- Other related duties as assigned.