• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Governing Bodies Servicing Division (CSG) is responsible for providing liaison between the Organization and its membership on Governing Body matters, as well as conference and protocol services. The Division's mandate includes ensuring the efficient programming and servicing of FAO meetings, providing secretariat services for Conference and Council, and maintaining relations with its membership.
The post is located in the Secretariat Services branch (CSGS).
The Conference Officer reports to the Conference Officer in Charge of the Secretariat Services branch (CSGS), under the overall guidance of the Director, CSG.
Support Governing Body Secretariat functions including monitoring and editing of documents pertaining to governance matters and support liaison with Members.
Collection, analysis and review of information for the effective delivery of corporate services
• Processes, coordinates arrangements, and delivers services;
• Researches and analyses policy and service delivery issues, maintains operational statistics, and prepares related reports;
• Contributes to the development of information and training materials and coordinates and assists in the presentation of information/ training sessions to management and staff;
• Provides information and advice to management and staff;
• Participates on project teams and work groups;
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Provides information and guidance to internal partners on procedures to follow regarding the preparation of, and documentation required for, the conduct of statutory and Governing Body meetings;
• Collects and analyses information for inclusion in statutory and/or management reports, statements and/or reports to donors as well as specific reports for Governing Bodies, donors and other partners;
• Contributes to the preparation of formal correspondence between FAO and its Members;
• Supports processes for smooth functioning of Governing Body meetings, in particular Conference and Council;
• Supports ongoing liaison between FAO secretariat and member countries, in particular Rome based Permanent Representations;
• Provides support to the Independent Chairperson of Council for effective discharge of his/her duties;
• Reviews and analyses reports, procedures, conference-related and administrative rules and policies.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International relations or another field relevant to the work of the Organization
• Three years of relevant experience in conference management or government-relations activities in an inter-governmental or international environment
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in conference management or government-relations aactivities in an inter-governmental or international environment
• Demonstrated ability to draft and edit documents
• Ability to engage other service units in the development of innovative working tools/methods;
• Knowledge and understanding of rules, regulations, statutory and legal instruments of FAO, in particular those pertaining to the establishment, functioning and procedures of Governing Body meetings is considered an asset
• Understanding of the functioning of UN agencies and the UN system is considered a strong asset