Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
Secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Office of the Director-General (ODG)
Publication/Transmission Date\: 2 June 2021
Deadline for Application\: 16 June 2021
Title and Grade\: Intern, Communications
Duration of Appointment\: 6 Months
Indicative Remuneration\: Monthly stipend
Duty Station\: Remote Internship
Date for Entry on Duty\: As soon as possible
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an inter-governmental organization headquartered in Abu Dhabi, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENA’s mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a centre of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 164 Members (163 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 20 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
The Agency implements its mandate with the view to sustainable development, increased energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity.
Objectives of the Internship Assignment
The internship post is located in the Communications Unit within the Office of the Director-General (ODG). The intern will provide support to the work of communications, particularly in the implementation of specific activities and initiatives.
In line with the objectives outlined above, the intern is expected to perform a range of communications, technical and organizational functions, including but not limited to\:
- In coordination with Communications Officers, planning, drafting and finalising written English language content for the website, including but not limited to\:
- Newsroom articles for the website
- Social media content for social channels
- Press release for website and mass dissemination
- Management of the Press@IRENA, Communications@IRENA and Info@IRENA email inbox, processing media enquiries in coordination with Communications Officers
- Developing daily media brief, including a highlights package of relevant news items
- Tracking media relations activity on master trackers, including interview requests and IRENA coverage
- Support with planning and ideas for major IRENA dates including report launches, campaign ideas and stakeholder events
- Managing and maintain an updated list of media brief subscribers, friends of IRENA and IGO database
- Keep track of the press release inventory list
- Provide support in content production such as writing post-event wrap ups
- Assist on email marketing
- Perform any other duties as required.
During the internship period, the successful applicant will develop an understanding and building solid skills in communications, skills relating to planning, organizing and creativity. The intern will also be able to further develop their skills related to research, analytical thinking, drafting, meeting organization, media, communications and social media.
The internship is for a period of six months commencing on/about 01 June 2021 or as agreed with the intern/sponsor but not after 15 June 2021. The exact period will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the programme. The maximum duration of the internship is nine months, subject to the intern’s continued university enrolment and performance.
- Candidates shall be advanced in their undergraduate studies or be enrolled in a Master's or doctorate programme at a recognized university at the time of application. Recent graduates may also be included in the programme provided the start date of the internship is less than six months since their graduation.
- Preference will be given to those studying\: Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or other related and relevant disciplines.
- Knowledge and experience in working in social media planning, implementing communication campaigns, and writing. Basic working knowledge of software packages for page formatting, image management and content preparation (experience with HTML, Photoshop, InDesign and similar software preferred). Interest in, and enthusiasm for, renewable energy and global energy transition is desirable.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of other United Nations languages is desirable but not essential.
- Competencies\: Candidates should demonstrate solid teamwork, planning and organising, professionalism and communications skills.
- Candidates must be able to work in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Candidates should indicate in their cover letter the period of availability.
IRENA interns are not considered to be staff members. The selected intern will work remotely on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) as per the working hours of IRENA premises in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
For more detailed information about IRENA Internship Programme, please visit the internships section on our recruitment webpage.
IRENA wishes to encourage applications from female candidates, especially from nationals of developing countries.
This internship is remote based, and the selected intern will be remunerated at a rate of USD 1,200.