Associate Civil Engineer (Planning Engineer)/Retainer
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Planning Engineer will report directly to the UNOPS Project Manager. The Associate Civil Engineer will coordinate regularly with the senior water network engineer, as well as the UNOPS team. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS. The position requires an experienced person with strong mobilization and planning knowledge, data collection and analysis skills.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Associate Civil Engineer is responsible for assisting with all construction management tasks required to ensure timely, cost effective, safe and quality delivery of the project. He/she is responsible for performing the following duties
- Support planning and documentation for future phases of the project as directed by the Project Manager and in accordance with UNOPS Organizational Directives, Administrative Instructions and Project Management Manual;
- Working out with the quantities using Project Management tools like MS Project/Primavera and get them approved by the Project Manager.
- Participate in meetings with project stakeholders.
- Reviewing, revising and monitoring the project work plan in close consultation with the project team and under the guidance of the project manager.
- Ensuring works are carried out in accordance with contracts, specifications, drawings etc.
- Liaise and coordinate with other team members in the preparation of monthly project reports.
- Assist the Senior Water Network Engineer in overseeing technical aspects of contracts and provide guidance to contractors where required.
- Maintenance of the following project documentation
iii. Progress photos
- Risk and issues logs
- Prepare technical meeting minutes on site.
- Setting OH & S examples on site through exemplary behavior and identifying deficiencies.
- Attending weekly contractor coordination meetings, maintaining minutes and issues.
- Identify and escalate any environmental risks that can affect the site or the neighboring domestic areas around the site.
- Carrying out other tasks as assigned by the Project Manager.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
● Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diligence, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues
● Ability to liaise with both female and male members of local communities in a matured manner
● Previous experience in humanitarian setting
● Knowledge of the local context in terms of refugee and host communities
● Self-motivated with a demonstrable ability to work under high pressure
● Work experience in Irbid of Jordan will be an added advantage
● PRINCE 2 foundation is desired
● Knowledge of gender dynamics in the local context will be an added advantage
- High School diploma is the minimum requirement for this role
- Technical / Professional License + 1 year. Technical/Professional Diploma + 4 years
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering from a reputable University is required + 2 years
- At least 6 years of working experience, including at least 2 years in fields related to construction/project planning is required.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and operations would be an asset.
- Experience in water construction projects is preferred.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic is required
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA- Retainer Contract level: LICA 6
Contract duration:Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This position is open for local only
- Preferable Irbid Resident.
- Amman is a family UN duty station
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.