Turlock (United States of America)
The Housing Specialist aids newly arrived refugees to ensure the best possible initial resettlement experience and the achievement of client self-sufficiency. In coordination with the Resettlement team the Housing specialist oversees the provision, procurement, and quality control of pre-arrival and post-arrival resettlement goods and services for newly arrived refugees according to established federal guidelines. The Housing Specialist will be responsible for locating housing for new arrivals and ensuring that IRC clients receive appropriate furnishings. The Housing specialist also participates, as required, in program planning and service developments through teams, committees and work groups. The Housing Specialist operates under moderate supervision with latitude for the use of independent judgment and initiative.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Property Management and Vendor Relations:
• Conduct ongoing outreach to current and potential landlords and property managers, building strong working relationships with the goal of increasing access to housing for refugee families and to coordinate client home repair requests as needed. Collaborate effectively with coworkers and partner organizations to support a positive resettlement experience.
• Regularly visit apartment complexes to ensure housing meets the minimum standards as laid out in federal regulations.
• Update the current housing resource tracking sheet on regular bases.
• Research and secure safe, appropriate, and affordable housing for refugees prior to their arrival in the US.
• Prepare and plan temporary housing such as hotel or Airbnb in case of delayed permanent housing upon arrival.
• Coordinate with US Ties, complete assistance agreement, and maintain ongoing communication regarding arrivals.
• Coordinate all aspects of new arrival’s airport pick-ups including communicating arrival information to Case Workers, informing staff of changes, and assisting volunteers when they participate in the new arrival process.
• Organize and oversee the setup of housing for refugees, including coordinating signing of leases.
• Arrange the logistics of new arrival home set-ups, including furniture orders and delivery, planning and placing purchase orders, and establishment of utility connections and home safety inspections.
• Prepare to provide Hot and ready to eat meals for all case members upon arrival, also purchase food necessities for first week of arrival and continue as needed.
• Prepare and complete pre-arrival documentation for client case files.
• Ensure accuracy and completion of leases maintained in client case files are following IRC policies.
• Ensure client fully understands the lease term and conditions (provide interpretation if needed), and client attains a copy of the signed lease
• Ensure compliance with case files management and reporting requirements.
• Participate in all program meetings, staff development activities, and other duties as assigned by the Resettlement Coordinator.
• Supervise and train a team of volunteers and interns working either directly with clients in the office on a variety of organizational and administrative tasks.
• Work as part of a team to provide comprehensive strength-based services to IRC clients through coordination of cases and effective communication between team members and departments.
• Comply with all policies, procedures and protocols of the agency.