Monitoring and Reporting Analyst
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Kenya, the UN Women Country Programme contributes to the development objectives of Kenya’s blueprint, the Vision 2030, the SDGs particularly SG 5 and is aligned to the United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) 2018-2022 as well as UN Women Global Strategic Plan. The Kenya Country Programme - “Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Gains Consolidated' - aims to achieve the following results: (i) Increased women’s leadership and participation in governance; (ii) Strengthened women’s economic empowerment; (iii) Increased protection of women against gender-based violence & access to justice for women; and (iv) Strengthened women’s leadership in peacebuilding and humanitarian response.
Reporting to the Planning, Monitoring and Reporting Specialist, the Monitoring and Reporting Analyst will provide support to the Kenya Country Office (CO) colleagues in incorporating monitoring and reporting into programme formulation as well tracking against Strategic Plan targets and the reporting of results to internal and external audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
Facilitate and substantively contribute to the incorporation of monitoring and reporting into programme formulation
- Facilitate and substantively contribute to the development of monitoring indicators, monitoring calendars, and field monitoring plans and quality assurance processes;
- Include inputs from relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations into programme formulation;
- Contribute to annual work plan monitoring, reviews and reporting;
- Provide technical support to partners in developing Performance Monitoring Frameworks (PMFs), systems and plans, and Baseline Surveys;
- Facilitate the clearance of donor agreements and Programme Cooperation Agreements with Kenya CO.
Contribute substantively to the monitoring and tracking of results against country-level targets and UN Women Strategic Plan
- Coordinate with Programme Team to ensure that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and standardized across programmes;
- Monitor data from partners/countries on a quarterly basis and provide substantive inputs to regular management briefs to inform decision making;
- Visit partners, along with the Programme Team, to support monitoring of results and planning processes as required;
- Monitor the spending of donor funds and other programme expenditures and disbursements;
- Draft and monitor the Kenya CO Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Plan.
Facilitate the reporting of results to internal (Senior Management) and external (Executive Board, Donors) audiences
- Facilitate the process of the Kenya CO meeting internal and external reporting requirements and deadlines, including annual reporting process;
- Draft donor and programme reports (both narrative and financial);
- Identify relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations and input them into programme reporting;
- Review progress reports submitted by partners and provide feedback to improve quality and timeliness of reporting;
- Collect and maintain data for the country, regional and global corporate reports, mid-term reviews, and final evaluations.
Contribute to knowledge building and capacity building
- Identify and disseminate good practices, lessons and knowledge, as identified through programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Contribute to the development of capacity development tools, including training materials and packages;
- Facilitate capacity building opportunities for staff and partners in the country in the areas of Results-Based Management (RBM), Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Promote the awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) among all staff members through communication, training, learning and development activities.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality technical support to the programme team and partners in line with a work plan
- Quality and timely development and review of systems for tracking/monitoring
- Timely submission of quality and accurate reports
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of program formulation and implementation and Results-Based Management
- Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation, evaluation design, data collection and analysis, and reporting
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports
- Good analytical and report writing skills
- Knowledge of UN program management systems
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification
- A Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Political or Social Science, Economics, International Development Studies, Gender/Women's Studies is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A project/program management certification (such as PMP®, PRINCE2®, or MSP®) would be an added advantage.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in monitoring and reporting of development projects/programs;
- Experience in the United Nations systems in an asset;
- Field experience is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- Knowledge of Swahili is an asset.