UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the direct supervision of the Team Lead (Nature, Climate, Energy, or NCE) and matrixed to the Regional Programme Coordinator, the Project Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the timely implementation of project activities and the achievement of project targets and results. S/he plans project activities and inputs at the regional level, in close consultation with relevant national project managers, as relevant, manages the day-to-day implementation of the project activities at the regional levels under his/her portfolio and supervises project experts and personnel.
S/he works in close collaboration with the various units within the UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub (BRH) such as the Nature, Climate, Energy team, Programme Management Unit (PMU), Country Office Support, Management Advisory and Operations teams as well as relevant Country Offices (CO) which are relevant and contribute to the project delivery. S/he also maintains effective working relationships with responsible parties, if any, donors and other partners such as UN agencies.
S/he is responsible for the quality reporting to the donors through required progress and financial reports and ensure that the donors are kept informed of important milestones met by the projects, risks and challenges the projects face, and risks mitigation measures to be applied.
S/he will be responsible for a set of projects, including, but not limited to, the following (once finalized, other related projects may be added):
(1) “Promoting the use of solar technologies for agricultural and rural development in Cambodia and Myanmar”, financed by the Korean Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA)
(2) “Establish Integrated Water Management System and Climate Resilience in Vulnerable Areas in the Mekong Richer Basin in Lao and Cambodia” financed by the Korean Ministry of Environment (MoE).
S/he is expected to contribute to BRH’s resources mobilization efforts to finance new and strategic interventions to position strongly UNDP in the region and to the coordination of a portfolio or projects linked to the NCE thematic areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Ensure the timely implementation of project activities and achievement of project targets and results. Produce high quality donor reports, fully meeting the donor requirements and expectations.
- Ensure the coordination with various teams within BRH and build partnerships with strategic partners, including donors and other UN agencies. Mobilize resources for strategic and/or catalytic interventions in the NCE fields. Coordinate a portfolio of projects, directly implemented by BRH, under the NCE fields.
- Facilitate knowledge and capacity buiding by the project(s)
Ensure the timely implementation of project activities and achievement of project targets and results; and Produce high quality donor reports, fully meeting the donor requirements and expectations, by focusing on the following results:
- In accordance with the Project Document and in close coordination with RPs and the project specialists, plan and develop project Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and establish Annual Targets according to UNDP timelines. Ensure that AWP activities suggested are in line with the overall direction set by the Project Document and lead to achievements of project targets and results.
- Develop project budgets. Monitor budget implementation and accounting to ensure appropriate use of project funds and accuracy and reliability of project expenditure. Coordinate preparation of financial reports to UNDP and donors, as required. Manage requests for the provision of financial resources by UNDP, through advance of funds, direct payments, or reimbursement using the FACE (Fund Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures) if applicable.
- Oversee and coordinate development and formulation of detailed implementation plans, procurement and human resources, communication and risk management plans for the Project. Coordinate and ensure timely updates of all planning instruments in close collaboration with relevant BRH units and COs.
- Ensure implementation of activities as per AWP and agreed deadlines as well as according to detailed implementation, procurement and HR plans.
- Supervise and manage project personnel and consultants. Develop ToRs/JDs for project staff positions. Oversee recruitment processes. Establish performance objectives and standards and ensure timely and appropriate feedback, guidance and support to ensure optimum performance. Undertake performance evaluation of project staff according to UNDP´s policies and deadlines. Oversee effective provision of services to project stakeholders as required.
- Identify implementation bottlenecks and develop solutions. Identify risks, propose management actions and keep the project board closely informed. Regularly liaise with RPs and other project counterparts.
- Assess project impact and oversee the appropriateness and accuracy of methods used to verify progress and results. Develop innovative improvements to enhance performance of the project.
- Establish adequate monitoring procedures and systems throughout project activities in close collaboration with the PMU and BRH Units and Country Offices. Ensure that adequate systems are in place to gather data and information for project monitoring and that systematic monitoring of project progress against targets is undertaken, including where possible regular field trips for monitoring purposes.
- Ensure that UNDP´s results-management systems are kept updated for project results-information including ATLAS project management module. Ensure that the indicators included in the project results framework are monitored at least annually, or more frequent intervals as required by donors and discussed at the Project Board.
- Manage the accurate and timely high-quality results reporting on the progress of the project and achievement of annual targets to the Project Board and donors. Ensure that donor and UNDP reports are prepared according to UNDP’s SOPs, quality standards and in line with the contractual obligations to project donors. Ensure that all internal and external reports are submitted by deadlines.
- Monitor performance risks identified in the project-level Performance Risk Dashboard in the PIMS+ (when applicable) and the project risks reported in the Atlas risk register throughout the project implementation.Support the BRH managers to fulfill their accountability for monitoring, reporting and managing project-level risks and their responsibility for addressing these risks in a timely manner in accordance with UNDP’s Enterprise Risk Management Policy.
- Ensure compliance of all actions and activities with organizational rules, regulations, policies, strategies and internal control mechanisms and guide the relevant Country Office teams where necessary.
- Coordinate and prepare ad hoc thematic and substantive reports/analysis/briefs.
- Implement project communications activities in close collaboration with the NCE Team Lead and the BRH Communications Team.
- Organise and participate in project level coordination meetings and/or technical working groups as per project document and AWP. Share information on technical project-related issues with donors, other partners and stakeholders.
- Implement project governance arrangements. Ensure organisation of Project Board (or equivalent) meetings and ensure timely preparation of agenda, background materials to agenda items and minutes as per UNDP SOPs and POPP.
- Implement audit recommendations for the project. Provide inputs to audit management responses.
- Immediately escalate issues with potential to impact UNDP´s effectiveness, financial soundness or reputation to the NCE Team Lead and BRH Management. Ensure that UNDP´s corporate interests and rules are guarded at all times and that appropriate action is taken to immediately address problems and challenges.
- Initiate the timely operational closure of the project in close collaboration with relevant staff in BRH and COs.
Ensure the coordination with various teams within BRH and build partnerships with strategic partners, including donors and other UN agencies; Mobilize resources for strategic and/or catalytic interventions in the NCE fields; and Coordinate a portfolio of projects, directly implemented by BRH, under the NCE fields, by focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordinate the advisory activities of the project technical staff including the technical specialists. Ensure that technical outputs are provided according to plans and meet the required technical standards.
- Establish, maintain and facilitate strategic dialogue between UNDP staff and Government officials at central and local levels, NGOs, partners, donors and other stakeholders in project´s area of work.
- Provide technical advice, draft papers/briefs/proposals in project´s technical focus as applicable.
- Identify areas of cooperation and coordination with other UN agencies for implementation of joint activities within the area of the project. Implement joint activities with UN implementing partners as per AWP, as relevant.
- Advocate UNDP with the partners and stakeholders. Consistently promote a positive image of the UNDP.
- Identify resources mobilization opportunities in close collaboration with the BRH/GPN Team. Develop funding proposals and concepts as requested.
- Provide inputs to formulation of UNDP strategies in the technical area of work as requested.
- Coordinate project and programme strategies and activities with other UNDP projects to ensure the effective implementation of the regional priorities.
Facilitates systematic knowledge and capacity building by the Project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure that the Project systematically builds capacities of Implementing Partners and other national partners through introduction of innovation and best practices, access to knowledge and expertise and promotion of their application to project implementation.
- Promote teamwork, information sharing and collaboration within the Project Team and UNDP and the Project Partners including Governments.
- Ensure capturing and disseminations of lessons learnt during project implementation.
- Promote skills development of project staff through coaching and mentoring.
- Facilitate the Project’s representation and/or participation in international knowledge networks to draw on and share best practice and lessons learned.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional
Job knowledge/ technical expertise
Accountability and results-based management
Building strategic partnerships
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (MSc or above) in a subject related to Environment and Natural Resource Management, Agriculture Science, Renewable Energy Development Studies, Waste Management, Climate Change Adaptation or other disciplines relevant to the Nature, Climate and Energy portfolio of UNDP.
- At least 5 years of demonstrable project/programme management experience with demonstrated leadership and team coordination experience in a multi-cultural international development setting.
- Experience in working at country level working with ministries, national or provincial institutions that are concerned with natural resource and/or environmental management.
- Demonstrated experience of management of a project of similar complexity and substantive area with strong Results Based Management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the donor-funded project, donor reporting, and relationship management with donors and other partners, including UN agencies.
- A Project Management Certification, either Prince2, PMP/PMI or equivalent would be an advantage
- Experience in the Souteast-Asia region an asset.
- Proficiency incomputer literacy – MS office applications, web-based management information systems
- English and Thai
Important applicant information
All posts in the NO categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.