Social Safeguards & Technical Field Assistant Reporting lines
Vacancy no.: BEY/DC/2021/20
Publication date: 01 June 2021
Application deadline (midnight local time): 16 June 2021
Job ID: 6150
Department: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Organization Unit: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One year
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in Lebanon.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is 55,568,000 LBP yearly.
Responding to the continuing Syrian refugee crisis, now compounded by the financial crisis and the COVID-19 outbreak, the Employment Intensive Infrastructure Programme in Lebanon (EIIP) aims to create jobs for vulnerable Lebanese host community members and Syrian refugees through construction and maintenance of locally prioritised infrastructure, where Local Resource-Based Technology (LRBT) and Decent Work strategies are chief strategies. ILO is leading project implementation, working in partnership with the Ministry of Labour and Ministry of Social Affairs and in coordination with participating municipalities and relevant technical line ministries. Funding is provided by the German government through the German development bank KFW.
The project will create quality infrastructure directly, mid- to long-term job opportunities for Lebanese (in particular skilled labour in the construction sector) as well as temporary work opportunities for Lebanese job-seekers (semi-skilled) and Syrian refugees.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor and in close collaboration with all members of the EIIP team, in particular the Engineering Team and the Decent Work Advisor., the official will perform the following duties:
Description of Duties
- Assist in the daily monitoring of work conditions on assigned EIIP construction sites, ensuring adherence to Decent Work principles and Local Resource Based approaches and environmental standards.
- Provide technical support and on-the-job training on decent work principles and local resource-based technology, and monitor that outputs are delivered by contractors on time, to the agreed quality and within budget.
- Assist in the daily communication and coordination between contractor, local authority and the EIIP engineering team.
- Ensure that all provisions of the EIIP COVID-19 Guidelines are in place. Coordinate COVID-19 activities with the municipality and report non-compliance.
- Monitor recruitment, support and promote women's involvement in the infrastructure. Monitor works.payment processes for workers, Double check and facilitate transfer of employment information from contractor’s muster roll to ILO the Office. Undertake data collection and simple surveys.
- Assist in identification of issues, blockages, misunderstandings or other possible misgivings occurring at community level and provide suggestions for/undertake corrective actions, and facilitate the complaints mechanism and report to Decent Work Advisor any grievances.
- Assist in coordination with Ministry of Labour's Labour Inspectorate in the regional offices of the MOL and facilitate linkages with relevant SDC's of the Ministry of Social Affairs.
- Organise, participate in community meetings and awareness-raising activities and training relating to the social & environmental safeguards framework and local resource based techniques to ensure these are put into practice throughout the EIIP program.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Completion of secondary school education, preferably with a civil engineering degree.
- Five years related experience, preferably including civil works supervision.
- Knowledge of Lebanese labour law and ILO Decent Work principles as it pertains to the construction sector
- Good knowledge of EIIP local resource based approaches would be considered an advantage
- Knowledge of EIIP Social Safeguards Framework would be considered an advantage.
- Previous experience involving the UN or other international organisations would be considered an advantage;
Excellent command of English and Arabic.
- Ability to work well in a team, with good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision, and take initiative and responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, good computer skills.
- Strong organizational abilities, ability to work to tight deadlines, and ability to respond to urgent requests from team members, contractors, local authorities and community members.
- Ability to deal with people from different cultures and different religious background with tact and diplomacy and to build strong working relationships.
- Ability to deal with confidential matters with discretion.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the local context and challenges in the project areas of operation.
- Good awareness of current environment and local surrounds, ability to interpret project information, and ability to identify, analyse and address problems with implementation.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.